Alcohol plays part in student death

Fresno State student Philip Dhanens died Sunday after a night of drinking at the Theta Chi fraternity house.

According to University Communications, Dhanens died at a local hospital. Dhanens, an 18-year-old freshman from Bakersfield, had just accepted an invitation to join Theta Chi, which is located off-campus at 1455 E. Joyal Court.

Fresno police sources were not able to comment to The Collegian about this issue at this time.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Philip at this incredibly sad time,” said Fresno State President John D. Welty. “We are heartbroken at the loss of this young man who had just joined out university community and had a life of promise ahead.“

According to CBS 47, an autopsy was performed Tuesday morning and found that Dhanens did not choke from vomit or injure himself to cause the death.

Fresno State as well as Theta Chi International Headquarters have suspended recognition of Theta Chi’s Fresno chapter and are working with authorities. According to Dean of Students Carolyn Coon, while investigations are underway, the university’s first action is to suspend recognition. This means the fraternity will not be able to conduct activities as a student organization of Fresno State.

University action from this point will depend on what the investigations finds, said Coon. The fraternity could potentially face probation, formal suspension and revocation of recognition for a period of time or the pursuit of individual sanctions.

“The thoughts and prayers of the members of Theta Chi International Fraternity are with the family and friends of Philip Dhanens,” Theta Chi headquarters released in a statement. “Our deepest sympathy is with them during this difficult time.”

Fresno State is providing counseling services to students, said University communications.

The Theta Chi Fraternity International Headquarters stated that they have dispatched senior representatives to Fresno to assess the situation and get the details of what happened.­ From there they will determine what their course of action with the local chapter will be.

Fresno police are heading the investigation with the assistance of the Fresno State University Police Department.

Similar instances have occurred in the past within the fraternity community at Fresno State. In 2006, Danny Daniels, 19, was found dead in his room at a Phi Gamma Delta house with high amounts of alcohol in his system. Daniels had been staying at the house, though he had not been enrolled at Fresno State for a number of semesters.

Though fraternities are recognized by Fresno State, they are independent organizations with fraternities houses located off campus on private property and not under the universities preview, said University Communications.

However, in order to gain recognition, student organizations must agree to follow the Student Code of Conduct and adhere to certain requirements including prohibiting minors from drinking alcohol at group events. The university provides information and resources on the subjects of alcohol and abuse issues to help students, said Coon.

Associated Student Inc attended a vigil for Dhanens Tuesday night promoting the counseling services the Health Center at Fresno State provides.

“Right now our focus needs remain on remembering Philip,” said ASI President Arthur Montejano.

Students in need of counsel can seek services from the Health Center located on campus.