Aaron Judge wins College Home Run Derby

The Bulldogs season ended in May, but Aaron Judge continues to perfect his game, joining the Canadian Independent League and triumphing in a home run derby.
Photos Coutesy of Fresno State Athletics

Fresno State baseball player Aaron Judge could have spent this summer going to rock concerts, traveling abroad or playing video games. Instead, Judge was perfecting his home run swing and showcasing his overall talent in an independent league that has produced some future all-stars in Major League Baseball.

Judge participated in the TD Ameritrade College Baseball Home Run Derby, which was held in July at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha, Neb., site of the NCAA College World Series.

Judge, 20, an outfielder, was matched up against some of the premier power hitters in college baseball, including Louisiana State’s Mason Katz and Virginia Tech’s Tyler Horan.

Judge finished with 16 home runs total, including four straight, and the bonus ball to eventually win the event. Judge said he was surprised to win, considering the field of talent around him.

“It was surreal. I didn’t know what to do,” Judge said. “I really didn’t have any reaction to it.”

Judge became the first Fresno State player to win the award, and the second to compete in the event. Jordan Ribera having competed in 2010.

Judge is not known for his power. But if the College Baseball Home Run Derby is any indication, he has only scratched the surface of his power potential. As a sophomore last season, Judge cracked four home runs, including two off Stanford ace Mark Appel. He was the Pittsburgh Pirates’ top draft pick (No. 8 overall).

Launching home runs in Omaha was only half of Judge’s summer.

Judge found out he was going to Omaha while he was perfecting his skills playing for the Brewster Whitecaps in the talent-laden Cape Cod League. While playing for the Whitecaps, he smashed a team-leading five home runs. He also earned the team Citizenship award for being a positive team member.

Playing baseball on the East Coast earned Judge a place on Baseball America’s top prospect list for 20 summer league teams. He was ranked sixth in the Cape Cod Baseball League. The list contained 235 players overall.

Playing in the Cape Cod League allowed Judge to measure his skills and abilities against the best.

“Everyone in the Cape League is the best, and I had a blast going up against that kind of competition,” Judge said.

Considering the Cape Cod League has produced such Major League stars as San Francisco Giants pitcher Barry Zito and former Red Sox shortstop Nomar Garciaparra, Judge would appear to be on the fast track to stardom.

Yet, despite the caliber of players who have come from this league, Judge doesn’t feel any pressure to be the next great star.

“I’m just here to play baseball and have fun,” he said. “Whatever God has in store for me is what’s going to happen.”

Judge, the player and the hitter, and the Bulldogs take the field Feb. of 2013 as members of the Mountain West Conference.