Up-and-coming WR eager to start

Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Not too many people know about sophomore wide receiver Victor Dean, but he went to the same high school as professional football elites Marcus Allen, and Tyrell Davis.

A native of San Diego, Dean was named to the All-CIF, all-league and to the All-San Diego team. Rated the 12th best wide receiver in California, Dean set records at his high school. In one such contest against rival high school Mission Bay, he set a single-game high by accumulating 320 receiving yards.

“My most memorable moment was probably the last game of my senior year, not really because it’s the last game of the year but because you realize you won’t be playing with the same people that you grew up with anymore and in front of the same community you’ve grown up with,” Dean said.

Known for his big play making abilities, Dean has the ability to stretch the field and give opposing cornerbacks trouble trying to contain him. Although Dean redshirted his freshman year in 2010, and then only played in two games in 2011, coaches consider him to be an outstanding player able to make important catches.

“He’s got a lot of ability,” Offensive Coordinator Dave Schramm said. “He’s got to learn how to play in this offense. I think he can help us. We’re playing a lot faster than he is used to playing — he’s a young guy. He has great skill, he just needs to continue to get better and be more consistent. Once he does that, he’s as good a receiver as there is in this conference.”

Dean likes the system that has been implemented into the team’s strategy by Head Coach Tim DeRuyter and he feels like he’s part of a family while playing for the Bulldogs. This element was a big decision in why he chose to be recruited by Fresno State. He enjoys playing for the assistant coaches that have been a big part of his development as a wide receiver.

“I really meshed with the coaches real well and you know DeRuyter has implemented a family type structure feel to the team,” Dean said.

“I’m proud of him and proud of how he has progressed, and he needs to keep going,” Schramm added.

With no clear-cut number one receiver for junior quarterback Derek Carr to throw to, the Bulldogs offense will have to wait until the first game of the season and see who will step-up and become that player. Other options like A.J. Johnson could cut into Dean’s playing time, but there should be plenty of opportunities for him to demonstrate his elite speed and play making abilities.

“I think I have deceptive speed. I’m a little bit taller (than most,) but I think I can run real well. Not a lot of people know that, at least outside of the team,” Dean said. “That plays a big role into it and it helps out our team knowing that I can run a little bit better than most.”

Schramm will get a few more opportunities to see how Dean is progressing during training camp. With the Bulldogs having practices today and tomorrow, DeRuyter and Schramm are interested to see how well Dean will perform under the pressure to enter the season as a starting receiver.

“He’s going to be as good as he wants to be. We don’t play guys in games who don’t do good in the practice field and like I said, he’s getting better and that’ll be all up to him,” Schramm said.