There’s no place like home

Liana Whitehead

As Fresno State’s livelihood returns in the midst of the August heat, students snooze their alarms for a few extra minutes of sleep — thirty in my case — before rising to begin another semester of term papers, PowerPoint presentations and dare I say fun.

For those of us who have walked these halls a million times, welcome home. If you’re a freshman or transfer student and this is your first semester as a Bulldog, I hope this place feels like home and I apologize for the extra sleep you probably didn’t have.

As Fresno State students, new or returning, many of us are exposed to the myriad of preconceptions of Fresno, and let’s face it — it can be scary.

I am not here to discourage students from residing in “The Best Little City in the USA” — as a sign reads over Van Ness Ave. — but to ensure students there is hope for successful college living in this underrated town.

Over summer break, I fled Visalia on a whim and became a Fresno resident. The former 45-minute commute three times a week was grueling and gas prices were killer.

Much of what I heard about Fresno through the grapevine included an overload of gang activity — gunshots, stabbings and theft — deadly air quality and an abundance of illegal drug distribution and use.

So, there I was. Bags packed and my pit bull at my side. How could this Los Angeles native be afraid of anything? I was terrified with no thanks to those who had implanted these horrific images in my brain.

As I allowed the dust to settle I was able to make some judgments of my own concerning Fresno.

Was Fresno as bustling and busy as I’d been told? Yes, but it’s not as crazy as L.A. or as slow-paced as Visalia — it’s just right.

Have I been targeted in violent crimes or felt unsafe in my neighborhood? Not at all. Common sense plays a huge role in ensuring your safety. It’s best to avoid dark alleys, deserted gas stations and unlit streets after a certain hour. Stick to the buddy system.

And finally, is there such thing as a decent neighborhood within a realistic student budget?

Yes, most definitely.

Conduct some neighborhood research before accepting something with which you are uncomfortable. Sometimes, the most helpful information is passed from student to student — ask around.

But wait, there’s more. Fresno also offers a colorful assortment of fun whether you’re a morning person or night owl, student or retiree. Some of Fresno’s best attributes are its rows of restaurants, shopping centers (like River Park) and its stirring nightlife.

To those of you who will consider making Fresno your home, take it from those of us who overcame this potentially scary move — it may be your best move yet.

If I haven’t eased your worries and woes, here’s a look at recent crime statistics gathered by federal and city organizations:

Based on information provided by the FBI Report of Offenses Known to Law Enforcement, it is projected that the 2012 Fresno crime statistics show a significant reduction in property and violent crimes since 2009.

These foreseen statistics include percentage drops in robbery, aggravated assault and motor vehicle theft.

Statistics provided by the Fresno Police Department and the City of Fresno website show a significant percentage drop in violent crimes from May 2011 to May 2012 — a 19 percent improvement in a single year.

Further studies suggest that violent crime offenses dropped in number between January and May 2012. Violent crimes include murder and manslaughter, rape, robbery and aggravated assault. Property crimes reported include arson, vehicle theft, burglary and theft.

So, fellow students, I hope this helped set the pace for a delightful semester and that your fears — our fears — of this not-so-big college town will diminish. May our year be filled with learning experiences, new friendships and yes — I dare say fun.