Student Health Center spreads word

The Student Health Center at Fresno State isn’t just a building near the dorms. It provides services to students for their well-being.

A lot of students, however, may not know much about the Student Health Center.

Every student pays a mandatory fee of $98 as part of their registration fees. This enables them to make an appointment and have any problem, checked out.

The health center has a new director, Catherine Felix, who is taking the department in a new direction. Plans call for many promotions and events bringing awareness to students that this center is for them.

The first of these events will be Sept. 9-15 — Suicide Awareness Week.

“What I want to do is break the stigmas surrounding mental health,” said Felix. “I want to partner with student organizations if they have passion and want to work with the Student Health Center to have a vigil Sept. 13.”

Anonymity for anyone who receives help for any health issues is of importance to the center. University faculty and employees are restricted from obtaining information on a visitor.

Many services are provided from the health center, including immunizations, prescription contraceptives and a pharmacy stocked with over-the-counter medications.

Students are fully covered and can go to the health center at any time and receive a diagnosis, first aid or any other test that might be necessary.

The health center is giving out 1,000 free flu shots this year for students to take advantage of as well.

“I want to make sure that when students come in, they have full access to a prepaid healthcare that is low cost or no cost,” Felix said.

Almost every service given by the health center is free to students except for the pharmacy, which sells its products at a cheaper price than other retailers.

Helping students struck with illness is not the only service the facility provides. Anyone can walk in and be educated by the center on a handful of subjects, such as when to get a flu shot or how to practice safe sex.

The center also offers dietician services, which involve dietary assessment, diabetes education, vegetarian and vegan diet planning, and eating disorders.

Psychological services are also offered in many different forms, based on the needs of the student. There is individual counseling for the solo experience and couples counseling to mend the heart.

There is even an outreach program to the campus community the health center partners with the Women’s Resource Center to serve students out of the Student Health Center.

Whether you fall under the weather or just want to get checked for any potential issues, the health center is open for you. It’s fully paid for and the Student Health Center wants to help you feel better.