Congressman Jim Costa presented Dr. Sudarshan Kapoor with an award for his work towards civil rights. Photos by Garrett Horn / The Collegian

India’s independence celebrated

Congressman Jim Costa presented Dr. Sudarshan Kapoor with an award for his work towards civil rights.
Photos by Garrett Horn / The Collegian

Members of the Indian community celebrated its independence Saturday in the Satellite Student Union at Fresno State.

The event marked the 66th anniversary of India gaining its independence to become the world’s largest democracy.

“We are here this afternoon to reflect upon the importance of the relationship of India with each and every one of us ”” of all that has been accomplished,”said Congressman Jim Costa. “Today, American-Indian relationships are better than they have been in many years,” The celebration began with a flag ceremony. People marched with both the Indian and the U.S. flags being marched down an aisle to the beat of a dohl, a traditional Indian drum.

The children of the Fresno Indo American Community sang the national anthems of both countries. Then, a Sikh prayer, the “Deh Siva Var Mohe” was recited while a video played in the background for the Indian community.

After the prayer, there was a moment of silence for two recent national tragedies — the shootings in Aurora, Colo. and in a Sikh temple in Oak Creek, Wis.

Costa was the main speaker at the event, speaking about American-Indian relations.

“It is fitting and appropriate that we recognize the common bonds that India and the United States share,” Costa said. “As two democracies, that first and foremost, [they] hold human rights and religious freedoms most dear.”

Costa ended his speech by awarding a certificate of special recognition to Dr. Sudarshan Kapoor, a former Fresno State professor of social work, who was recognized for his work for racial harmony and civil rights.

Kapoor was nominated as chairman of the Peace Garden Advisory Committee after leading the movement to establish the garden.

“It is very important for all of us to use the tradition of our culture from our country,” Kapoor said.

The festivities continued with a dance, Ganesha Dhimahi, performed by four girls from the Natyamritam School. The dance movements told the story of the one-tusked, elephant-headed godGanesha. The dancers wore colorful, silky outfits adorned with gemstones and bells to ring to a beat.

Shri Parthasarathi the consul general of India in San Francisco presented the Recognition Award to the Indo American Heritage Forum, Fresno, and Indo U.S. Heritage Association of Fresno for their patriotic work.

Dance performances took over for the rest of the presentation as Kiran Mehmi danced to “Des Rangila.”

Sitanjali Chandra and Nileen Clark performed a classical dance to show the grace and beauty of India’s dance. Bharatanatyam originated in Southern India.

The dance group, Dhiyaan Raniyan, put on a show dancing the Giddha. Over 20 girls danced the very popular folk dance, spinning their scarves and jingling their bells while shaking their hips as the audience clapped along.

The night ended with one final dance, the Bhangra, with young boys. All the children wore bright colors and danced in a synchronized and loud manner ”” like the finale at a fireworks show.

Samosa was served with chutney on the side to compliment all the traditional dancing and cultural videos shown during the night and to spice things up.

Costa said India’s Independence Day is important for not just India, but for the every nation.

Kapoor said, “Indian culture is one of the oldest cultures on this planet that is still alive and dynamic.”