Liana Whitehead
Liana Whitehead

Everybody’s watching: Verbal spills in the public eye

Liana Whitehead

Over a hundred years ago, neurologist and psychoanalyst Sigmund Freud constructed a theory based on Fehlleistungen, or faulty actions.­ Today, we know this as the Freudian slip.

The theory suggests that a true Freudian slip occurs when a single taboo word or phrase slips off the tongue at the most inappropriate or inconvenient moments. Freud proposed that these unintentional verbal spills unleash unconscious thoughts or motives.

I assume that this has happened to many of us. It’s rather awkward, and given the perfect moment — or the most awkward timing ”” it can be absolutely hilarious or dreadfully humiliating.

I have experienced a few memorably inappropriate verbal slips myself. Just a few months ago I was pulled over by an officer for having a cracked headlight. After he asked for my license and registration, I continued to inform him that it was in the “drug box” ”” I meant to say glove box.

It happens.

According to Jenna Pincott, author of an article on Psychology Today’s website, “For every 1,000 words spoken we make one or two errors. Considering that the average pace of speech is 150 words a minute, a slip is bound to occur about once every seven minutes of continuous talk.”

The article also states that Freudian slips have the “astonishing power to terrorize ordinary men and women.”

Relating to recent events, it is no wonder why our seemingly likable political figures and candidates may feel mortified when this happens. From George W’s simple-minded slip-ups, to Ted Kennedy’s “breast and brightest” comment, we the people have been witness to some career-stopping moments.

With the 2012 election campaigns running full speed ahead, America has watched and waited as some of its favorite (and not-so-favorite) political figures are caught in unfortunate slips of the tongue.

In early August, Mitt Romney commented on the tragic Wisconsin shooting targeted at a group of Sikhs (followers of Sikhism, a prominent religion in Punjab). Throughout the speech, Romney ignorantly addressed the Sikh community as “sheiks””” meaning “elder” or “leader” in Arabic.

This was certainly not the correct terminology, and Romney used it numerous times throughout his speech:

“We had a moment of silence,” Romney said, “in honor of the people who lost their lives at that sheik temple. I noted that it was a tragedy for many, many reasons. Among them are the fact that people, the sheik people are among the most peaceable and loving individuals you can imagine, as is their faith.”

Last week, President Obama’s right-hand-man, Joe Biden, was mocked for a controversial slip of his own.

At a campaign stop in Virginia, Biden addressed Romney’s supposed plan to “unchain” Wall Street. During his speech, he warned the audience of Romney’s plan to “put y’all back in chains.” Complaints of racism and ignorance still surround the Vice President a week later.

Ouch.

You would think it was impossible to go downhill from here, but nothing is unheard of when you’re dealing with eager, crowd-pleasing politicians.

The latest sweet-talker to put his foot in his mouth was republican Todd Akin, a U.S. Senate candidate from Missouri. Akin stated:

“If it’s a legitimate rape, uh , the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

I am not sure I would even call this a slip. He did refer to the process of human conception as “that whole thing,” after all. The media really had a parade with this story.

Although the politicians apologized for the miscommunication ”” all except Biden ”” murmurs of their stupidity and ignorance are still spreading internationally.

Some of the commentary on the Huffington Post website deemed Romney as tactless and unsubtle, or stated that he simply did not care enough to say the correct word. Tactless and unsubtle, maybe ”” but I don’t believe Romney simply was not interested in being correct.

An article on CBSnews.com described Biden’s comment as a “blatant appeal to racism.” After he made the comment, Biden was accused of pulling the race card in hopes of benefiting Obama’s campaign.

Again, there was probably a misunderstanding. Biden, however, should have publically apologized for his slip-up to show that he had no intention of raising race as an issue.

As for Akin ”” I am sure he will pay for this comment for years to come. I understand his intentions ”” which I do not believe were completely dishonorable ”” but he chose the absolute poorest choice of words to communicate his thoughts. Those in the public eye should radiate respect and sensibility even when under pressure.

After the storm passes and a new target is exposed, there will be another public figure taking in the ridicule for something they probably never meant to say in the first place.

I see nothing wrong with the public getting a free laugh out of these situations, but remember this ”” simply because something sounds inappropriate or seems negative doesn’t mean it is.

As Freud’s theory suggests, the more our brain tries suppressing a thought, the more we think about it, leaving more chance for us to say that very thing.