Liana Whitehead
Liana Whitehead

All aboard: undocumented immigrants tour the U.S.

Liana Whitehead

I’m fairly new to life. I’ve been on this planet for almost 25 years ”” a little too late to experience “the good ol’ days” ””or so I hear.

I have the feeling that American patriotism, small government and the “no bull” times have seen better days.

Over the past few weeks, a group of undocumented immigrants and supporters have journeyed across the United States with an agenda at heart.

Originating in Phoenix, the tour has made its way through neighboring states like Colorado and New Mexico, and made a beeline for the Democratic Convention in North Carolina.

As the “Undocubus,” a large, eye-grabbing turquoise bus with the painted phrase “No papers, no fear” makes its way through U.S. neighborhoods, it’s leaving a trail of dust and smoke — and I don’t mean exhaust.

Many Americans feel strongly about the immigration issue, but this remains absent from many mainstream media sources. Almost every article I have read regarding these rallies and protests has yet to provide the other side of the story ”” our side.

After reading a dozen articles and watching YouTube footage of several “No Papers, No Fear” rallies, I have come to this conclusion: it is no longer tolerable for Americans to use their free-speech rights in fear of causing offense. Rather, it has become acceptable for non-citizens to protest for rights on American soil.

Luckily, we have a reliable, honest government that protects citizen rights and enforces national security at the utmost level.

Yeah. Right.

There is something wrong with this picture. The term “illegal” suggests that something is not allowed or that something is unlawful and should have consequences. I wonder what type of global war would occur if Americans paraded the streets of other countries, demanding the same rights as its natural-born citizens.

Many people ”” including some Americans — felt this way after 9/11. We were invading Middle East territory. We had “no right” to be there despite whatever intentions or efforts. We were forcing our culture and opinions on a foreign country.

I don’t see much of a difference in cases like the Undocubus.

Why is it that Americans — meaning all legal citizens, no matter their nationality, race, sexual preference or religion ”” are bound by road laws, criminal laws, property laws, vehicle regulations, etc., but those who find a way to quietly blend in as Americans, having no legal rights, can deem us “hateful” or “racist” for having an opposing opinion.

This doesn’t include every undocumented immigrant. I am speaking specifically about those who refuse to gain legal citizenship — those who actually take pride in being undocumented.

I say this because I have been labeled as judgmental or prejudiced simply because I do not agree with illegal, undocumented citizenship. It has nothing to do with a person’s racial or cultural background whatsoever. It’s simply rules, regulations and above all, justice toward legal immigrants who have paid for and endured the legalization process.

I understand the protestors’ longing for acceptance and equality, but how are we expected to show tolerance to those who do not tolerate our beliefs, or follow the same federal, state and city laws?

In several videos, I watched protestors shouting, “We’ve taken enough being stepped on. We are tired of the abuse.” In one interview, an Undocubus passenger proclaimed her fight against racism — which she believed is often “hidden beneath business suits.”

My question is this: Besides the obvious issue of being illegal and demanding citizen rights, how has the United States (especially California) abused undocumented immigrants?

A 2010 article in The New York Times states, “In a unanimous decision, the California Supreme Court ruled Monday that illegal immigrants can be eligible for the same reduced tuition at public colleges and universities as legal residents of the state.”

The same article also discusses the fact that students outside of California ”” legal students, that is ”” are not able to receive reduced tuition.

So, you see, Americans are also seeking equality. However, there should be no question about who receives these benefits first. The documented citizens.

This brings me to my next issue: nationality. There is no reason why a person from any cultural and ethnic background cannot become a U.S. citizen. We encourage this. It is vital that we allow legal immigration for a number of reasons.

Legal immigration, for cultural and economic purposes, is a wonderful thing. Individuals from other countries carry over brilliant ideas, higher education and cultural diversity. All of these things not only make America look good (for lack of a better word), but thrive in the aforementioned ways.

The aim of early Americans was freedom from all types of persecution, including religious, political and lifestyle preferences.­ The United States was once a land full of immigrants. If we were to deny immigrants the chance to live in the “Land of the Free,” what would that say about us?

It is right and fair to encourage people to earn legal citizenship and hope they flourish in American society. What we need is more programs that offer incentives and help for those who wish to enter the United States and stay. Legally.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Antonio OlmosAug 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Dear Liana, I dont think you realize that Good old fashion Americans, who are legally citizens of the United States, People born in the United States are the ones giving jobs to these illegal migrants. You dont seem very angry at them or angry at the low prices for your produce that you for at the supermarket, or for your meal that costs nothing because the american owner of the restaurant hires illegal aliens in the kitchen. You enjoy all the benefits that comes with a mass labour pool of undocumented aliens and yet blame them for all the woes that have befallen the good old USA. You dont complain about the vast amount of sales and other taxes paid by the undocumented that allow others to enjoy lower income taxes. You dont blame the unfairness of the North American Free Trade Treaty that creates huge profits for the American Agricultural sector but displaces thousands of Mexicans from their smallholding rural plots forcing them to look for work north of the border. You enjoy your vast consumption of illegal drugs that causes untold misery upon Mexico as its transported through that country, and causes even more displacement. No let’s blame the most defenceless of human beings for seeking a better life, whose mere presence in the USA has brought countless of benefits without the reward of having a voice.
    I agree with only one thing you say, You have not been on this earth long enough to have the wisdom to comment on these things. Sincerely Antonio Olmos, former student at Fresno State. (and a child of those undocumented you so complain about)

Josh L.Aug 26, 2012 at 10:08 pm

You seem like one of those people who wants to enforce the laws and be damned about the consequences and those who disagree. I also get the feeling that you lack empathy for those effected by the laws and why they rise up to speak loudly. If your comeback to the strife of undocumented immigrants is “well certain undocumented immigrants can pay in-state tuition if they meet certain requirements (not just any immigrant)”, then it sounds like you’ve never talked to undocumented people ever. I feel like your article takes an extremely superficial view of immigration policy (like ‘geeze why dont you just get status, we will let in people who are smart and will work hard for America’) and is completely ignorant of the lives of undocumented immigrants. I don’t think there’s much more to say except to advise you to find some families that are undocumented and talk to them, then rethink your positions, and if you still disagree, then at least you will be able to articulate it better.

• R

Robert MorrisseyAug 25, 2012 at 9:21 pm

What you leave out, Rachael R., is that the most important qualification is an honest love of the American ideal. Kind of like our Founding Fathers had and Ronald Reagan had most recently. None of the things you mentioned really matter without this. What is it that you love about America?

There is no such place as a welcoming, humane place for all. That is a fantasy, a utopia that eggheads like college professors and socialist ministers come up with.

• R

Robert MorrisseyAug 25, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Americans like you, Liana, were there in the “good ‘ol days”.

• N

Neil O'BrienAug 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Well said Liana. You are a great American.

• R

Rachel R.Aug 24, 2012 at 5:30 am

You say “there is no reason why a person from any cultural and ethnic background cannot become a U.S. citizen.” What your article leaves out is that there are plenty of barriers to obtaining legal residency and citizenship: lacking specialized upper-echelon job skills necessary to apply for an employment-based visa, lacking the proper family relationships to citizens or lawful permanent residents to apply for a family-based visa, escaping a difficult homeland environment that is not yet recognized as a humanitarian crisis eligible for refugee or asylee status… not to mention that immigrants face waits of up to 15 and 20 years to be found eligible for legal status. Imagine having to wait a generation to be with family members or pursue life, liberty, and happiness. Our immigration system is inhumane and we should strive to make the U.S. a welcoming, humane place for all.