Students volunteers wanted to coach Fresno youth

The Zimmerman Boys and Girls Club of Fresno and Coaching Corps are searching for Fresno State students who are interested to become volunteer coaches.

Coaching Corps is a division of the AmeriCorps VISTA project whose main purpose is to fight poverty. It does that in a variety of ways, such as the Coaching Corps program that uses sports as a way of reaching impoverished population.

It gives low-income children the same opportunity to experience the friendships, exercise, confidence and academic success that kids in more affluent neighborhoods do.

Mark Schoeberlein and Luke Vinson are Coaching Corps volunteers and have been actively recruiting on campus for volunteer coaches who’d like to make a difference in the community.

Schoeberlein said that while some students have volunteered many don’t follow up, creating a need for more volunteers.

“Our goal is to create a chapter at Fresno State so Coaching Corps will have a channel for volunteers with the Boys and Girls Club.”

Assistant Executive Director of the Zimmerman Boys and Girls Club said that Coaching Corps provides a unique experience to make a difference in the community while enjoying the sport of his or her choice.

“If you like the sport and it’s something you do, it a provides a sense of purpose,” Guerrero said.

Reaching an average of 12,000 youth per year, the Boys and Girls Club and Coaching Corps work together to teach sportsmanship, teambuilding, and character.

Guerrero said the simple act of spending time with youth through sports makes it easier to spread those messages.

If interested in volunteering contact Mark Schoeberlein at [email protected].