Wylie becomes a Chief

Receiver Devon Wylie (7) was selected by the Kansas City Chiefs with the
107th overall pick in the fourth round of the 2012 NFL Draft. He becomes
the 68th Fresno State player to be taken in the NFL Draft and 23rd since
2001.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Senior standout receiver Devon Wylie became the 68th Bulldog to be drafted into the NFL when the Kansas City Chiefs selected him with the 107th overall pick in the fourth round on Saturday.

Current and former teammates took to Twitter to express their congratulations of Wylie being picked up by the Chiefs.

Junior defensive lineman Nikko Motta (@NEEKSFSU) tweeted “Shout out to Wylie !!! Yessssiiirrr.” And former Bulldog Jalen Saunders (@Jalen6Saunders) also tweeted “Wiggles!!!!! I see u bra WIDEOUTS.”

Wylie, or “Wiggles” as he’s known by his teammates, finished fifth in the nation among punt returners with a 15.4 yard average on 29 returns.

He returned two punts for touchdowns in his senior campaign; a 67-yarder at No. 10 Nebraska and a 79-yard return for a touchdown against No. 5 Boise State.

The return specialist earned All-American honors from Yahoo! Sports, Phil Steele and Sports Illustrated after last season, and was also named to the All-WAC second team.

Wylie participated in the 2012 East-West Shrine Game as a punt returner and returned four punts for 54 yards, a 13.5 average.

After missing the 2010 season due to a foot injury, Wylie returned in 2011 stronger and faster to finish his career as a Bulldog with 98 receptions for 1,327 yards and eight touchdowns. He also returned 41 punts for an average of 13.5 yards while at Fresno State.

Noted for his speed, the Chiefs are likely to use Wylie as a slot receiver and punt return specialist, in hopes Wigglies can become their own Wes Welker.

While Wylie was the only Bulldog selected in the NFL Draft, two Bulldogs signed on to NFL teams as undrafted free agents.

Defensive tackle Logan Harrell signed with the San Diego Chargers while offensive lineman Bryce Harris signed with the Atlanta Falcons and will reunite with former head coach Pat Hill who became their offensive line coach in January.