Water returns to Shaver Lake after dry spell

Shaver Lake, pictured here with a lowered water level, will once again be
full this summer after being emptied for repairs its dam. The lake is at
approximately 80-percent capacity now.
Eric Paul Zamora / McClatchy-Tribune

It’s almost time to dust off the water-skis and fishing poles ”” Shaver Lake is back in business.

This past winter the empty hole in the ground where Shaver Lake was formally located was quite the sight. Repair crews from Camp Edison worked all season long to make much-needed repairs to the lake’s long-standing dam.

This project took a lot of time and effort from both the Shaver Lake community and repair crews. The lake was completely drained in order to conduct the project. Thousands of gallons of water later, and around-the-clock work still did not give workers enough time to finish the job.

But summertime is nearing, and since the Shaver Lake businesses and economy depend on people coming up to the lake, leaving it empty was not an option. The lake is officially back and ready for full use, with water pumping in daily and fish being planted regularly.

The work on the dam will continue in the off-season next winter.

Kami Benedict, a longtime employee of Sierra Marina, is excited about the lake’s reopening. Benedict said she still expects there to be plenty of visitors at the lake this summer despite the recent construction.

“The work that has been done on the dam won’t change how busy we get in the summer, unless people are unaware that the lake has been filled up,” Benedict said. “People have already launched their boats, and last weekend while the weather was really warm, we got really crowded up here.”

Sierra Marina employees estimate the lake to be fully pumped by Memorial Day weekend. This is typically one of the biggest weekends up at Shaver, given that many want to kick off summer at the lake.

The Fish and Game Commission has planted a large number of fish into the lake already this year in order to reestablish Shaver Lake as a fish habitat, and to reinstate the lake’s reputation for plentiful fishing.

“There are a lot of fish right now, and they are planning on planting more before summer begins, but people have already been limiting out so far this year,” Benedict said.

Jordan Sarabian, a Fresno State senior and avid fisherman, is ecstatic to hear the news about the number of fish that will be in the lake this summer.

“We are heading up there this weekend to see if the fishing is really what they said it is,” Sarabian said. “I grew up going to Shaver Lake. I’m really excited to spend a lot of time up there this summer.”

Water sports enthusiasts are also excited for the lake’s reopening. Duffy Dodson, a Fresno State senior and wakeboard fanatic, frequents the lake as much as possible during the summer to get as much time on the boat as he can.

“It’s been too long since I’ve been on my wakeboard,” Dodson said. “I’m psyched to get the boat back out on the lake. I’ve got to see if I’m any good at it anymore.”