Sports Briefs, 4/16/12

Softball splits doubleheader at San Jose State

With a doubleheader split over the weekend at San Jose State, Fresno State softball made the Western Athletic Conference race even narrower.

The Bulldogs won the opener on Sunday, 1-0, but fell to the Spartans 2-1 in the second half of the day. With the split, Fresno State clings to the second spot in the WAC standings at 8-2, just behind Hawaii at 9-2 while San Jose State is fourth at 6-4.

In the opening game, the Bulldogs managed their only run in the fourth inning off a Courtney Moore home run. Fortunately for Fresno State, pitcher Michelle Moses tossed seven scoreless innings, giving up just one hit in the process.

Game two featured both Mackenzie Oakes and Moses in the circle. The duo gave up seven hits and two earned runs, but the two fifth-inning runs proved to be enough for the Spartans to squeak by the Bulldogs. Michelle Moses brought in the Bulldogs’ lone run in the loss.

Fresno State (22-17, 8-2 WAC) will travel to New Mexico State for a three-game series beginning Friday. The Aggies have a conference-worst record of 1-11.

Women finish strong at Sacramento State

Both the men and women’s track and field squads traveled to Sacramento on Saturday for the Sacramento State Mondo Mid-Major Challenge.

The women placed second behind Utah State and the men placed fifth of the eight-school event.

Junior sprinter Breeauna Thompson impressed for the Bulldogs, winning both the 200 and 400-meter dashes in times of 24.04 seconds and 55.67, respectively.

For the men, Remington Blair took the 400-meter dash in 47.66, ahead of two Idaho Vandals and teammate Jordan Walker (48.76).

Senior jumper Emmanuel Jackson had strong showings in the long jump and triple jump. Jackson took third in the long jump at 21-feet, 9-inches and second in the triple jump at 48-feet, 10.25-inches.

For the women, senior Latrisha Jordan also assisted the ‘Dogs to their second-place team finish by winning the 400-meter hurdles in 1:00.25. The time is her best of the 2012 season.