Marketing 188 students will attempt to make the world’s longest ice cream sundae

A group of Fresno State students will attempt to break the world record Saturday for the world’s longest ice cream sundae.

The group is not only looking to break the record ”” they aim to crush it.

“The current record for the longest ice cream sundae is set at 157 feet,” said Juan Diaz, a senior marketing student who is part of the group attempting to break the record. “Our group is hoping that we can not only beat this record, but that we can double the distance of the previous record.”

Diaz and his fellow group members are part of William Rice’s Marketing 188 course at Fresno State. The course, which is offered to senior students who are in their last semester, focuses on the strategic planning process and procedures of marketing plans. The event will take place during the Muscular Dystrophy Association (MDA) Walk at the Sugar Pine Trail in Fresno.

The planning and preparation that goes into this project has allowed the group to experience the work that goes into real-life marketing plans. The group said its main focus has been trying to get other students involved, as well as businesses in the community.

“Over the past few months, we have been working hard to get the word out about our event,” said Thomas Vazquez, a Fresno State senior who is also part of the group. “It is important for us to do everything we can to make others aware of what we are doing because we will not be able to break this record without volunteers and support from local businesses.”

Diaz said that the group is very pleased with the generous donations that it has received from the community to make the event possible.

“Producers Dairy is donating all ice cream needed, Hershey’s is giving us chocolate syrup, Grocery Outlet in Clovis is donating five cases of whipped cream and Café Fina in Monterey has given us almonds for our sundae,” said Diaz. “We wouldn’t have been able to do this without their generosity.”

The students have been promoting their world record attempt by passing out flyers at local events, such as Clovis’ Big Hat Days, Fresno State’s Vintage Days and by utilizing social media.

“If anyone is interested in participating in the attempt to break the world record, we have a Facebook page that we have been using to keep everyone updated with the most current information,” said Vazquez. “Facebook has been a useful tool for us in making other students aware of what we are trying to do.”

In addition to possibly breaking a world record, the students will be supporting a good cause. All proceeds from the event will be donated to the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

Vazquez said that he hopes other Fresno State students will be encouraged to attend to help break the world record, enjoy some ice cream and support an organization in need.

The event will be at the Sugar Pine Trail on Fresno Street between Nees and Friant. Set-up for the world record attempt will take place at 10 a.m. and will officially begin at 11 a.m. For more information, contact [email protected].