Bulldogs win back-to-back

Senior Laura Pola was honored before Sunday’s match against Loyola
Marymount. Pola lost to Gabby Gatewood at No. 5 singles, 6-1, 6-2.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Fresno State won back-to-back games against Cal Poly and Loyola Marymount ”” both by the score 5-2 ”” at the Wathen Tennis Center Saturday and Sunday.

During Saturday’s match, the ‘Dogs swept the Mustangs in all three doubles matches to go up 1-0 into singles play.

In the top singles spot, No. 42 Marianne Jodoin defeated Alexa Lee, 7-5, 7-6 and freshman Aishwarya Agrawal downed Jocelyn Davis 6-2, 6-3 in the second spot. In spots three and four, Bulldogs Melissa McQueen and Bianca Modoc came out with wins before the Mustangs defeated Pola and Tanya Murtagh in the final two spots, respectively.

On Sunday, the ‘Dogs honored lone senior Pola before downing Loyola Marymount in their regular season home finale.

Pola, a native of Ottawa, Canada, is 67-73 in singles and 75-56 in doubles through Sunday. Pola has been with the program her entire four years at Fresno State and clinched the Western Athletic Conference Championships for the Bulldogs two out of the three previous years she competed in the tournament.

Pola won her doubles match Sunday alongside Jodoin, 8-5, over Ashley Anderson and Miya Jin.

In the other doubles spots, The Bulldogs pulled out wins from Modoc and Agrawal who beat Elisaveta Pironkova and Reka Rohonyi, 8-6 and McQueen and Olga Kirpicheva who downed Claudia Razzeto and Logan Finnell, 8-2.

In singles, Pola lost to Anderson, 6-2, 7-6 in the No. 5 spot.

Jodoin continued her dominance in singles play, with a 6-1 win over Razzeto at the No. 1 spot.

The No. 48 Bulldogs (13-8) will travel to Las Cruces, N.M. for the WAC Championships which begin Thursday and run through Saturday.