Bulldogs still face roadblock as Nevada takes season series

The Bulldogs failed to escape Nevada with a series win, taking one of three from the Wolf Pack.

The Bulldogs saw their 2-0 lead evaporate in fifth inning as the team dipped into to last place in the WAC with an 8-2 drubbing at the hands of the Wolf Pack. The ‘Dogs could not capitalize on chances as the team got its lead-off batter on base six times; the team also had 12 hits, stranding 10 runners. Nevada’s Braden Shipley took the win raising his record to 7-3.

Saturday, the ‘Dogs let loose some of their frustration on the Wolf Pack pitching staff with a 14-2 onslaught. The Bulldogs had seven players reach base multiple times, six having multiple hits. The Bulldogs’ Justin Haley got his fifth win of the year and struck out nine.

None of Nevada’s pitchers had an answer for the Bulldogs offense. Nevada’s four pitchers each couldn’t go past 2.2 innings. Three of the four would go on to give up multiple runs.

The offense in Sunday’s rubber match came to a screeching halt with neither team getting much going. The Bulldogs dropped a heartbreaker, 1-0.

Nevada’s pitcher Tom Jameson went the distance allowing eight scattered hits and striking out two. The victory was the sixth of the year for Jameson who raised his record to 6-1.

Nevada finally broke through in the seventh with an RBI single from Carlos Escobar Jr. off reliever Cody Kendall bringing in Garrett Yrigoyen who doubled of Thomas Harlan earlier in the inning. Harlan had allowed only one hit prior to the double in the seventh inning; he would finish the day with an impressive pitching line consisting of 6.2 innings giving up the one run, only two hits, while striking out seven and not allowing a walk.