Who should you vote for?

Arthur Montejano and Daniel Harrison make their case to the students

Arthur Montejano

I­believe that the role of Associated Students, Inc., should be to empower Fresno State students with the resources they need to be successful.

To do that, ASI must make itself more accessible to students, provide for better participation in shared governance and offer more opportunities for students to grow and gain the experience they need. To do so, I propose town hall meetings at times that are convenient for students, orientations for shared governance committees and a General Assembly wherein students can discuss issues relevant to them and identify solutions.

I am the best candidate for ASI president because my passion lies in helping others achieve their potential and my experience demonstrates my commitment to students, higher education and the community around me.

I am the only candidate with experience serving an associated student body at both the local and state level. I served as Vice President of Judicial Affairs for Merced College and also represented ten colleges as Senator of Region 5 of the Student Senate for California Community Colleges.

My career at Fresno State as an undergraduate and graduate student has centered around providing my fellow students with opportunities for personal and professional development. As a Peer Consultant for the Leadership Council, I helped put on the Emerging Leaders Retreat through where students could grow as leaders and individuals and introduced students directly to organizations on campus so they could get involved.

An alumnus of the Greek community at Fresno State, I served as President of Delta Sigma Phi and joined with other leaders to make us partners in revitalizing the community around us. As Club Sports Supervisor, I have worked to enhance the experience of student athletes on campus through the creation of a Club Sports Council and other programs that support these student-run intercollegiate sports. My record shows that I know how to get students involved and empower them.

The solutions needed to continue to give a quality higher education experience for students at Fresno State must come from within our university’s community. It should be the duty of ASI to promote an atmosphere where students feel like they are part of the solution. I believe the depth and breadth of my experience makes me the most qualified candidate for ASI president to accomplish that goal. If elected, I would work tirelessly to empower students to achieve success.

Arthur Montejano received his bachelor’s degree in history from Fresno State in 2011 and is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in kinesiology with an emphasis in sports psychology. He is running for ASI president.

Daniel J. Harrison

My name is Daniel Harrison and I am running for Fresno State ASI president.

I am currently a junior double majoring in economics and political science. I have been active in the Community Revitalization efforts since the birth of the movement, and have appeared before the Fresno City Council, along with several other students, fighting for a safer community surrounding Fresno State.

I am a former president of the Economics Student Association, where I represented all economics students on campus, and I currently serve as executive director of the College Republicans. Additionally, I sit on the ASI Finance Committee.

I am involved on campus, I am a proven leader, I know the ins and outs of ASI and I am the candidate of ideas; those four things are exactly what we need in an ASI President.

I am the only candidate proposing a decrease in the ASI fee. Based on enrollment totals, and current operation costs, ASI can decrease the ASI fee by almost 25 percent, function the same and still put money into reserves.

I am the only candidate proposing a 24-hour library during Dead Week and Finals Week. To extend library hours from the current system to a 24-hour system during dead week and finals week would cost about $20,000. ASI has, approximately, a $600,000 budget; if we cannot find $20,000 for this obvious need of the students, then we have serious problems.

I am the only candidate proposing a recommendation to the University Board to restructure the $34 Parking Permit Fee Increase that will go into effect this fall semester. The parking permit increase is to pave a new lot; however, the fee is permanent. It is illogical to collect those fees after the lot has been paid off. My recommendation is a temporary system that takes into consideration the financial burdens students are facing.

In addition, my opponent has proposed a Student General Assembly, an idea that I proposed last year. SGA, as I have proposed, would be a campus-wide organization where every club and organization on campus is represented. SGA would meet once a month and bring the students to the ASI senators and executives, the USU Board and university officials to have concerns and needs met on a­ monthly basis, not on a once-a-semester basis.

I would be honored to earn your vote this week for ASI president.

Daniel Harrison is a junior, double majoring in economics and political science. He is currently the Executive Director of the Fresno State College Republicans. He is running for ASI president.

$100
$500

$100
$500

SamMunsonforSenatorAtLargeMar 27, 2012 at 10:11 am

Make sure you vote irrespective of who you vote for! Integrity is an important part of being a student senator so examine candidates closely. My platform is expansion of student transportation opportunities and facilities. This means setting aside more parking spaces for students, making sure that bike lanes are built on streets around school (through lobbying efforts to the city council), and assuring that the USU and Henry Madden Library are open later. An integral component to supporting the students this coming year, given the rising cost of commuting, is to act against the parking fee increase. So go out and vote! Write in Sam Munson for Senator-at-Large!