Sports Briefs, 3/7/12

Women prepare for WAC Tournament

The Fresno State women’s basketball team will compete in its final Western Athletic Conference Tournament, beginning today in a 6 p.m. contest against eighth-seeded New Mexico State.

The top-seeded ‘Dogs, who won the conference season title with an 12-1 record, will defend last year’s WAC Tournament championship as well as exit the WAC as outright champions.

“That has been our aim this whole season,” said junior Rosie Moult. “We want to be the last team to win the WAC. It would be great having finished winning the conference in season and the tournament.”

Moult, who is averaging 12.9 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for the ‘Dogs, was named to the All-WAC defensive team. Sophomore Ki-Ki Moore was named WAC Player of the Year. She is the third Bulldog to earn the award.

Despite the added bounty on her head as the WAC’s best player, Moore knows the team will need to focus just like they have for every other game.

“We come to every game the same,” Moore said. “We know that after playing and beating everyone this season, that everyone is after us. Everyone usually plays their best game against us, so we just have to play our hardest and not worry about what everyone else is thinking about us.”

Moore, who sat out last season to fulfill NCAA transfer regulations, will make her first trip to the WAC Tournament for the ‘Dogs.

“We’re not treating the tournament any different than we’ve been treating league or preseason,” Moore added. “Everything is still the same. We prepared the same, so I think we’re ready.”

Should the ‘Dogs win today’s contest they will play the winner between fifth-seed San Jose State and four-seed Idaho.

Men’s tennis ranked No. 14 in the country

The men’s tennis team continued to climb in the polls last week, reaching No. 14 in the Campbell/Intercollegiate Tennis Association Team Rankings.

The No. 14 ranking is the highest spot the ‘Dogs have reached since 2000 when the team was ranked No. 12.

Eighth-year head coach Jay Udwadia has led the team to a nine-match winning streak, including an upset over then-No. 9 Stanford. Stanford is currently ranked No. 10.

The team is led by senior Remi Boutillier, who although suffered a singles loss in last week’s win at San Diego State, is ranked No. 17 among singles players in the nation.

Sophomore Francis Alcantara, or “Niño” as he’s known by his teammates, is currently ranked No. 52 in singles.

The ‘Dogs, who defeated San Diego State 4-3 last Thursday, will host Wisconsin Saturday 2 p.m. in the Wathen Tennis Center.