Sports Briefs, 3/5/12

Women’s basketball wins on Senior Night

Seniors Blakely Goldberg and Veronica Wilson were honored at Fresno State’s 79-43 win over New Mexico State.

Wilson and Goldberg were honored before tip off and started in their final regular-season game as Bulldogs. The two seniors have guided the ‘Dogs to a 50-13 record, a WAC regular-season title, a WAC Tournament title and an NCAA Tournament appearance.

The ‘Dogs were almost on fire from the floor, sinking 48 percent of their shots, including 11 3-pointers. Junior Rosie Moult led the way for Fresno State, scoring a team-high 21 points. Moult made five 3s and shot 50 percent from the field overall.

Goldberg finished with 10 points, four rebounds and two steals. Wilson had seven points and one rebound for the ‘Dogs.

Fresno State, which clinched the 2012 regular-season WAC championship last week against Louisiana Tech, is the top seed in this week’s conference tournament.

Men’s basketball suffers second-half collapse; lose regular-season finale in OT

Head coach Rodney Terry’s inaugural regular season came to close Saturday night in an overtime loss to New Mexico State.

In just more than 16 minutes, the Aggies erased a 19-point Bulldog lead, sending the game into extra minutes before pushing Fresno State’s conference record to 3-11, its worst since the 2008-09 season.

Kevin Olekaibe, who was named second-team All-WAC over the weekend, dropped a game-high 23 points, but New Mexico State’s Bandja Sy scored 22 after halftime. Olekaibe finished second in the WAC regular season in scoring average with 18 points per game. The Aggies’ win set up a rematch in this weekend’s WAC Tournament in Las Vegas.

The game was also the final appearance for two Bulldog seniors at the Save Mart Center. Jonathan Wills and Steven Shepp were honored before the game in front of an announced crowd of 6,135.

Women’s tennis upsets No. 50 Georgia State

The Fresno State women’s tennis defeated No. 50 Georgia State, 4-3, Friday afternoon at the Wathen Tennis Center.

The Bulldogs, who improved to 3-5, swept in doubles play winning all three matches. Marianne Jodoin and Olga Kirpicheva defeated Abigail Tere-Apisah and Maryna Kozachenko in a tiebreaker, 9-8 (3).

In singles play, 42nd-ranked Jodoin lost her first match of the season to No. 54 Tere-Apisah, 6-3, 6-4. Jodoin is now 2-1 against nationally ranked opponents.

Georgia State gave the ‘Dogs a scare, taking the No. 2 singles match as Tereza Lerova downed Kirpicheva, 6-2, 6-7 (5), 6-2, tying the match at 3-3.

Fresno State’s No. 4 singles player Melissa McQueen clinched the win for the ‘Dogs in a comeback victory over Kozachenko, 0-6, 7-6(5), 7-5.

Fresno State will be on the road the next two weekends, as it takes on New Mexico State and UNLV, on March 10 and 17, respectively.