Sports Briefs, 3/19/12

Bulldogs fall to Hoyas in first round of NCAA Tournament

After claiming both the Western Athletic Conference regular season and tournament titles, the Fresno State women’s basketball team’s season came to a close Sunday in its 61-56 loss to Georgetown in Chapel Hill, N.C.

The Bulldogs, who made their fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament, are still looking for their first national tournament win under head coach Adrian Wiggins.

Trailing 33-23 at halftime and by 17 points in the second half, the ‘Dogs rallied back and pulled within three points with just 4:48 remaining in the game.

The late comeback was too little too late for Fresno State as Georgetown squeaked by for the win in the final minutes.

WAC Player of the Year Ki-Ki Moore led the ‘Dogs with 22 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the loss. Junior Rosie Moult had a double-double effort scoring 12 points and pulling down 10 boards.

Freshman Madison Parrish was a perfect 10-of-10 from the free-throw line where she scored all of her 10 points.

The Bulldogs capped a record-setting season with 28 wins and six losses as the exit the WAC as uncontested champions. The team will lose seniors Blakely Goldberg and Veronica Wilson for next season.

Track and field has strong showing at Hornet Invitational

Despite the cold, rainy weather, the Fresno State track and field team was able to get several place finishes at the Hornet Invitational, Saturday at Sacramento State.

“The team competed well for the most part, but we still have some things to iron out,” head coach Scott Winsor said. “We need to get the whole team on the same page on the same day and we will be good.”

Senior Christina Cabias finished in first place in the collegiate division with a throw of 104.7 feet.

Sophomore Meagan McKee continued her success in the field events, taking the shot put crown with a throw of 49 feet, 10 inches. Freshman AnaManu Folau placed third in shot put with a throw of 44-06.75 feet. J’Quyra Moncur-Blue rounded out the Bulldogs with a seventh-place finish with a distance of 43-07.25 feet.

Freshman Devin Harrison had the top mark in the collegiate division for men’s long jump with a distance of 23-05.50 feet.

Fellow freshman Je’Nia Sears remained consistent in long jump as she finished first with a mark of 19-0.75 feet.

Emmanuel Jackson took fifth in the men’s long jump with a mark of 21-07.25.­ Roderick Dash finished third in the men’s hammer throw with a 184-11 foot mark, which was just shy of his personal record.

On the track, junior Cameron Parker and freshman Christopher Brusenback finshed first and third in the 200-meter dash with times of 21.76 seconds and 22.11 seconds, respectively.

Sophomore Alyson DeLaRosa also placed for the Bulldogs, taking second in the 800-meter with a time of 2:15.00.

The men’s 4×100-meter relay team also took first with a time of 41.48 seconds.

Fresno State will return to the track this weekend when it travels to the Cal Poly Invitational.

Softball doubleheader­canceled due to weather

The Fresno State softball team had another game affected by Mother Nature as today’s doubleheader against Cal Poly has been canceled due to less-than-favorable field conditions.

The games will be rescheduled for a day in April, but the exact date has yet to be determined.

On Saturday, the Bulldogs’ game against Penn State at the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton was canceled due to poor weather.

Fresno State will start conference play this weekend when it travels to Reno for a three-game series.

$100
$500

$100
$500

CQMar 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

It’s a shame to see the women’s basketball team, who had been playing well all year, lose in such an anti-climatic game to Georgetown. Granted, the Georgetown team played great; but I would’ve like to see the team win on Sunday.