News Briefs, 3/5/12

New conference mission to motivate Latino students

A new conference organized by Fresno State students, “Motívate! Discover Your Passion for Success” will feature international motivational speaker María Marín.

The free, public event is scheduled for 9 a.m.-3 p.m. March 17 at Fresno State’s Satellite Student Union. It will address challenges facing Latinos in college, recognize outstanding Fresno State students and inspire Valley Latino youth to pursue higher education.

Registration information can be found at www.csufmotivate.com. Day-of-event registration will be from 8-9 a.m. For more information contact Lucerito Salgado at [email protected].

Women in the economy is Fresno State lecture focus

Dr. Heather Sumner, a business consultant, will discuss “Women in the Economy” during a presentation 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. on Friday at Fresno State to the university’s Women’s Campus Connection and Leadership California.

Sumner is a consultant in the Silicon Valley Office of McKinsey and Co., where she focuses on pharmaceutical companies, particularly understanding strategies related to pricing, contracting and reimbursement.

She was the key lead on McKinsey’s research on Women in the Economy, presented last year during a Wall Street Journal conference. Sumner is part of McKinsey Women and West Coast with Children within the firm.

Sumner’s doctorate in physical chemistry was awarded by the California Institute of Technology. In addition to journaled research, she taught a variety of chemistry courses and was heavily involved in the Graduate Student Council at CalTech.

For more information, visit www.csufresno.edu/wcc or call 559.278.2083. RSVPs should be addressed to [email protected] by Wednesday, March 7.

Women’s Campus Connection was established in 2011 and offers women faculty, staff and administrators at Fresno State an environment in which to socialize and build connections that provide professional and personal benefits for support and success on campus and beyond.

Leadership California is a network of accomplished women, dedicated to advancing the leadership role women play in business, social issues and public policy.

Students from across the state March on the capitol

The Student Senate for California Community Colleges (SSCCC), California State Student Association (CSSA) and the University of California Student Association (UCSA) invite the media to “Fund our Future,” a huge march and rally at the State Capitol in support of higher education. Over 10,000 students will converge on Sacramento to demand that Governor Brown and the Legislature increase higher education funding, protect the Cal Grant program, and support legislation that would give much needed relief to students and their families.

The three official state student associations, collectively representing millions of students across California, have come together for what could be one of the largest student organized rallies in California in recent memory. “Thousands of UC, CSU and community college students are coming to Sacramento, and we are united with a simple message: Our future depends on the state fully funding higher education. Balancing the state budget on the backs of students and their families must end,” said Kevin Feliciano SSCCC President.

This March is the first time in years that UC, CSU and community college students have united for a single action in Sacramento. Many other ally groups will also be joining students for this March.

“Year after year, the state has chosen to disinvest in public higher education. Students at the CSU, UC and community colleges have seen fees skyrocket, courses and departments cut, and services slashed.

CineCulture screens ‘Harimaya Bridge’ on Friday

The bond between father and son is the focus of “Harimaya Bridge,” to be shown by Fresno State’s CineCulture at 5:30 p.m. Friday, March 2, at the Leon S. and Pete P. Peters Educational Center in the Student Recreation Center. Fresno State counselor Katsuyo Howard; Fresno County Superior Court Judge Dale Ikeda; Dr.Tomoko Kozasa, a linguistics professor; Hiromi Kubo, a public services librarian; and Dr. James Walton, an English professor, will lead a post-screening discussion.