Football prepares for spring game

The Fresno State football team took the field for its 12th practice Tuesday afternoon, in preparation for the annual spring game at noon Sunday.

New head coach Tim DeRuyter said the team has been improving but still has a lot of work to do before Sunday.

“We’re making really good progress,” DeRuyter said. “We’ve still got a long way to go but I like the progress we’ve made so far.”

The Bulldogs suited up in full pads Tuesday as they polished the new offensive and defensive schemes that DeRuyter’s staff has created. Fans will get a chance to see the new system for the first time Sunday.

DeRuyter said Sunday’s display may be “a little sloppy,” because second- and third-string players would be putting in more playing time because the team is light on numbers. He also said the game would give those players a final chance to compete before fall camp.

Despite the low numbers, DeRuyter said the attitude among the players has been positive as the team continues spring practices.

“The attitude has been great,” DeRuyter said. “I don’t know if I’d be surprised by it, but they’ve adapted to our schemes really, really well on both sides of the ball.

“We’re still a little bit rough around the edges as far as getting the right guys in the right spots,” said the first-year head coach. “But we’re really excited for what the future will hold because of the guys we brought in.”

Offensively, the ‘Dogs appeared to be catching up with the pace DeRuyter wants them to play. Junior quarterback Derek Carr connected to tight end Marcel Jensen on a slant route that was probably the most well-executed play during the practice.

The Fresno State defense took on many formations during practice, including 3-4 and 5-2 defenses, but DeRuyter said the team still has some adjustments to make. He said the current players weren’t recruited to fit his positions, but they’ve been adapting well to the transitions.

“They’re guys who have been working with their hand on the ground who now have to stand up and play in space,” DeRuyter said. “Some guys have adapted to that well; some guys are a little bit slower with it so we’re trying to find different roles for guys.

“That’s probably the toughest thing… trying to put all the pieces together.”

DeRuyter and his staff have two more practices, Thursday and Friday, to put the puzzle together before fans will see the team in the spring game noon Sunday.