‘Dogs to face ranked opponents

The Fresno State Bulldogs will host the annual Bayer CropScience Classic beginning today.

The ‘Dogs enter the tournament 1-1 against ranked teams and will face two over the weekend against unbeaten California, the No.1 team in the ESPN.com/USA Softball Collegiate Top 25 and No. 2 in the USA Today/NFCA Division I softball poll. Fresno State will also square off against Oregon, which ranks 15/18. Other teams competing are Butler, Connecticut, Purdue and San Diego State.

The ‘Dogs (12-7) currently have a 7-2 record at home. The most recent ranked opponent Fresno State faced was UCLA. The ‘Dogs beat the Bruins, 6-3, last Saturday at the Cathedral City Classic.

Fresno State will want to get off to a fast start. The ‘Dogs are undefeated when they have a lead going into the fourth inning, but are 0-4 when trailing after the final four innings.

The ‘Dogs are also going for their fourth no-hitter on the year. Senior Michelle Moses has collected one in each of the previous tournaments, bringing the Fresno State total up to 69 in team history. Senior Mackenzie Oakes pitched the other no-hitter on Feb. 19. Both pitchers are sitting on three no-hitters for their careers. The Bulldogs’ pitching and defense has lead to seven shutouts in 2012.

Moses needs eight more strikeouts to reach 500 in a career, a feat that has only been accomplished 11 times in Fresno State softball history. She has 101 strikeouts on the year, more than any pitcher in the WAC. Batters are also batting only .155 against her this season and she has thrown at least 10 strikeouts on three separate occasions.

Fresno State holds a better head-to-head record against every opponent competing in the tournament except Butler. This will be the Bulldogs’ first meeting with the school. The Bulldogs hold a 29-3 versus Oregon, a 3-1 record against Connecticut, a 3-0 record against Purdue and a 63-43 record against California. San Diego State will not face the ‘Dogs during the event.

The young Bulldogs have already starting to establish themselves on the field. The Bulldogs’ eight freshmen have combined for 58 starts and 71 appearances.
Fans can get into today’s game for free if they are wearing a baseball or softball jersey. On Saturday anyone with a military identification can get in free as part of Fresno State’s Wounded Warrior Project Salute.