Business student receives College Entrepreneur of the Year Award

Fifth District Court of Appeal Judge Charles Poochigian
congratulates Mike Pronovost for his award. Pronovost is
accompanied by his mother and father.
Photo Courtesy of Mike Pronovost

Business administration student Mike Pronovost was surprised when, just says before the event, he was selected by the Chamber of Commerce for the College Entrepreneur of the Year Award.

The award was presented on Tuesday to Pronovost in front of more than 400 business leaders. He feels honored to have been presented such an award, and does not know who presented his name for nomination.

As the inventor of Powerband, a service that utilizes a combination of software and hardware to speed up Internet connections, Pronovost is grateful for the opportunities he has been given.

“I was really surprised because it was probably a week prior to the event they let me know I had been selected,” Pronovost said.

The excitement about being presented the award was evident in Pronovost’s voice. Some of the Valley’s biggest business leaders were present at the conference.

“I was very surprised, but more than anything honored to even be in everybody’s presence and even be included in the group of people had received awards,” Pronovost said. “Afterwards, just being able meet with everyone just because it’s the same people you see on TV, it was an honor.”

Dr. Tim Stearns is a mentor to Pronovost. He was described as someone who would go out of his way to help upcoming entrepreneurs.

“I was really inspired by him, and to even have him be the one that helped me through the whole thing was pretty awesome,” Pronovost said. “It was just very humbling because of all his accomplishments.”

Pronovost was honored that his mentor, and someone he looks up to recognized him as a successful business person.

The award was received under the parent company of Pronovost Technologies Inc.­ The company is working on bringing broadband to some of the underdeveloped countries, and is making progress because of some of the contacts he made at the White House at the end of last year.

As the inventor of Powerband, Pronovost is well invested in the field of technology. He is now the CEO of Pronovost Technologies, Inc.