Bulldogs ace Aggies for 11th-straight win

Fresno State’s David Ayoun returns a volley in his singles match
against New Mexico State’s Germain Degardin. Ayoun went on to win
the match in straight sets, 6-1 and 6-4.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

The No. 18 Fresno State men’s tennis team continued its winning streak and dominance in the Western Athletic Conference against New Mexico State Tuesday at the Wathen Tennis Center.

The Bulldogs routed the Aggies, 6-1, in a rematch of last year’s WAC Championship. The ‘Dogs improved to 3-0 in conference and 12-1 overall with the win. The Aggies fell to 4-9 overall and 1-1 in the WAC.

“Today our guys played very well and we’re fortunate to get the win,” head coach Jay Udwadia said.

The Bulldogs won the doubles point over the Aggies as they swept all three doubles matches.

Nationally ranked in doubles at No. 64, Remi Boutillier and Francis Alcantara defeated New Mexico State’s Mateji Stakne and Luis Ramirez, 8-2.

In singles play, the ‘Dogs continued their winning streak, taking all the sets until the final match of the day.

No. 22 in singles, Boutillier defeated Stakne, 6-1, 6-0, while teammate Alcantara (No. 58 nationally) downed Ramirez, 6-0, 6-0.

“I think I played a solid match today,” Boutillier said. “I was feeling well and practicing well lately and feeling confident, so I was just taking advantage of it and played my game.”

Bulldogs Jean-Charles Diame, David Ayoun and Reid DeLaubenfels all won their singles matches in straight sets.

Fresno State, which has been undefeated since a Jan. 29 loss to UCLA, has its eyes set on defending its title and winning the WAC.

“It’s a big goal for us to take down conference,” Udwadia said.

“We’ve got more goals ahead, so we’re going to keep pushing,” he added.

Boutillier also has his eyes set on helping the Bulldogs defend their WAC championship title.

“Winning the WAC is the first goal,” he said. “We’re trying to take care of business.”

The Bulldogs will host No. 27 Tulsa on Friday before heading back into conference play against Hawaii on Saturday.