‘The Artist’ proves to be a modern masterpiece

Black and white pictures are rare in this day and age, and a silent picture is virtually unheard of. Despite these factors, Michel Hazanavicius decided to create “The Artist.” Jean Dujardin plays George Valentin a silent film star, and the true definition of a movie star. That was until the advent of talkies when the studios wanted to bring in new talent like budding young starlet Peppy Miller, (Bernice Bejo.) The Artist at its core is a wonderfully entertaining romantic comedy, that just so happens to be in black and white and is almost entirely silent.

Hazanavicius, a French writer and director, is better known for his OSS 117 movies in which Dujardin is the French 007. In The Artist he departs from the action and gives the audience, especially cinephiles an ode to silent film and Golden Age cinema. The multitude of emotions that the film draws out is truly a testament to superb filmmaking.

Dujardin, as the proud Valentin, could not be more suited for the part. He plays a charming debonair, and wins the audience over instantly. Dujardin goes through a gamut of trials and tribulations as the silent movies that gave him his fame and fortune become obsolete, and his pride drags him down as the times change. He sparks the career of a young girl, and a wonderfully funny dance number, who eventually becomes Hollywoodland’s new star, Peppy Miller.

Bejo portrays Miller with a youthful splendor and likablity that will make you fall in love with her as much as everyone else, including Valentin. As she rises to fame with the advent of the talkies, she is no less captivating. She cares for Valentin and it is because of her that their romance continues.

The supporting cast is just as sensational as the lead actors. Dujardin’s partner in crime is an adorable Jack Russell dog named Uggie. He is magnetic and hilarious. John Goodman, is as always brilliantly expressive, and plays the studio executive responsible for Valentin and Miller’s careers. James Cromwell is cast as the quiet and loyal chauffeur, and a joy to watch.

The score is crafted by Ludovic Bource and compliments the film adding a serene eloquence. Recently, The Artist’s score has been in the media for using a part of the Vertigo Score, as Kim Novak bruskly pointed out.

Despite the negative light that Novak decided to shed, it does not taint the picture, and notwithstanding the piece borrowed from Vertigo, the score remains glowing.

It’s one of the best romantic comedies in years, regardless of the lack of sound or color.