Supporters of Prop. 29 encourage students to aid in finding cancer cure

Lung cancer survivor Maurice Soulis spoke about his experience as a
cancer patient and encouraged students to vote “yes” on Prop. 29.
Author / The Collegian

A message was delivered to students on Wednesday of a proposition that, if passed, will generate $600 million every year toward research on cancer, emphysema, stroke and heart disease prevention.

If Proposition 29 clears, it will impose a $1 tax on each pack of cigarettes sold in stores.

The new proposition is expected to decrease smoking rates by investing $179 million per year into tobacco prevention and cessation programs.

“Only 2 percent of the tax will go to administrative costs,” said Paul Mills, a cancer epidemiologist and adjunct professor at the University of California, San Francisco.

“Tobacco is such an addictive drug. If you are smoking at a young age, you are more likely to be a smoker for life,” added Mills.

Cancer research will be funded by the tax, which will allow laboratories, such as the one run by Dr. Jason Bush at Fresno State, to continue their work.

“Vote ‘yes’ on Prop. 29. The fact there is an opportunity to bring more money to research is wonderful. Cancer affects everyone,” biology professor and cancer researcher Dr. Jason Bush said.

“I am glad the school has the provisions to do this. Typically, you had to go the UC Berkeley campus to get this kind of open forum,” cancer survivor Maurice Soulis said.­ “The move to eradicate this is moving in the right direction.”