Sports Briefs, 2/22/12

Equestrian claims “Best in the West” title

Fresno State earned the title “Best in the West” Sunday as it upset two nationally ranked opponents, defeating University of Tennessee Martin and Texas Christian University, 8-7 and 9-7 respectively. UTM and TCU were ranked No. 8 and No. 10 in the latest coaches’ poll.

The ‘Dogs picked up five MVP honors on day one of the tournament, three of which came against TCU. Freshmen Macy Wilson and Ciara Kozlowski picked up the nods in Equitation on the Flat and Reining, while sophomore Lauren Crivelli was named MVP for Horsemanship. Crivelli also earned MVP honors in Reining, while teammate Senior Holly Elsbernd took MVP in Equitation over Fences, in their competition against UTM.

On day two, junior Christa Beezley earned MVP honors in Horsemanship, with a score of 75.5. Fresno State won the event 3-0 over UTM.

This was the fifth time in six years that Fresno State has won its annual Best in the West Tournament. The ‘Dogs will now prepare for their next competition this weekend in Atlanta against University of Georgia and Baylor.

Moore named Verizon’s WAC Player of the Week

Sophomore Ki-Ki Moore continued her dominance on the court, picking up her fourth Verizon Western Athletic Conference Player of the Week honor.

Moore led the ‘Dogs to wins against Idaho and Utah State last week. Fresno State remains undefeated in WAC play, and extended its winning streak to 11 games.

Against the Vandals, Moore recorded her sixth double-double of the season, recording team-highs with 23 points and­ 11 rebounds. She also tacked on five steals.

On Saturday, Moore finished with 12 points, eight rebounds and a team-high six steals in a 78-60 win over second-place Utah State.

In her first season at Fresno State, the sophomore is averaging 17.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 5.5 steals per game.

Uhalde medals at Peg Barnard Invitational

Sophomore Christine Uhalde earned the first medalist honor of her career, splitting the individual title at the Peg Barnard Invitational in Stanford.

Uhalde shot a final round 75 to finish at 3-over, tying with Emily Childs of California. Uhalde’s first-round score was a 70.

“It was a great job by [Uhalde] today,” head coach Angie Cates-Moore said. “She was very calm and collected very well on the golf course. I am very proud of her.”

Uhalde gave Fresno State its first individual title since Hali Coppin won the 2010 Western Athletic Conference Championship.