Save Mart Center parking clarity questioned

This parking sign is located at Lot A and displays the commonly known
permit requirements seen across campus. The green sign indicates what
type of permit is required to park in the designated lot.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Senior Fresno State student Neil O’Brien was surprised to find a ticket on his windshield after parking in a Save Mart Center parking lot without a pass.

The student activist presented his case during a public comment session at last Wednesday’s Associated Students, Inc. Senate meeting, saying there is no sign indicating the need for a parking pass.

Senator of Parking and Safety Kevin Boles believes the ticket was handed out wrongly and the fee should be dropped.

“I don’t really know if they know that the California Vehicle Code states that you can’t charge for things because they don’t have any signs,” said Boles. “There’s no green sign in this lot, so you can’t technically get a ticket.”

Parking Administrator Amy Armstrong said via email there is a sign displayed at the west side of the Save Mart Center on the corner of Woodrow Ave. and Matoian Way.

The sign says a fee is required for all patrons who park on the lot. A vehicle not displaying distinguished placards or license plates issued for disabled individuals will be towed.

However, the sign fails to say what kind of pass is needed to park in the lot, nor that a fine will be issued.

Boles said that even though there is a sign that says a fee is required, not enough information is displayed. In order to get a ticket, the type of permit needs to be stated on the sign.

Armstrong understands there has been confusion about the lot regarding what kind of pass is needed.

“It was brought to our attention that it is unclear what the rules are for the lot in regards to student parking,” said Armstrong. “We are currently ordering new signs that specifically address student parking.”

On the campus map found on Fresno State’s website, parking lots that require a student pass are indicated in green, whereas the Save Mart Center parking lot is shaded gray. The map also doesn’t illustrate the need for a pass at the Save Mart Center, but does for the 11 green lots on campus.

Armstrong says a revised version of the map is under construction to clear up confusion.

In the meantime, Boles said he plans to talk to the University Police Department about the tickets that have been given out in the Save Mart Center parking lot, with hopes of coming to a resolution.

“I’m going to contact them and tell the school they can’t technically charge for parking there and we’ll see what comes up,” said Boles.

Last May, the $25 parking ticket fee increased double for almost all offenses. For vehicles not displaying a proper parking pass, violators are issued a $50 fine.

$100
$500

$100
$500

DanFeb 23, 2012 at 6:02 am

Neil didn’t know you need a permit to park at Save Mart Center? I’m not a student but I knew that before this story ran. Just serves to confirm how stupid Neil is and how he’s not college material.

• G

George PutmanFeb 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Oh no you don’t. Honestly Collegian writers? You are honestly going to upgrade Neil O’Brien and call him a student activist? According to the groups he is connected to, like the Counsel of Conservative Citizens, he is a documented White Supremacist. One of the founding principles of the Counsel of Conservative Citizens is to counter “all efforts to mix the races of mankind” (http://cofcc.org/introduction/statement-of-principles/). I would also caution you on your constant coverage of his racist colleague in student government, racist Selena M. Farnesi. If you do not start integrating ethical journalism practices into your work, the credibility of your news institution will come crumbling down. Keep racist ASI President Selena Farnesi and neo nazi Neil O’Brien out of honorable news outlets like the Fresno State Collegian.