Legalizing same-sex marriage gets step closer

Julia Scott and Christina Rea take part in a knot-tying ceremony
outside the Fresno County Clerk’s Office after being denied a
marriage license last Valentine’s Day. Scott and Rea are now
engaged and hope to one day get married.
Alexandra Norton / The Collegian

Prop 8 ruled unconstitutional in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals last Tuesday

Proposition 8, the California ballot measure that banned same-sex marriage in 2008, was ruled unconstitutional by a three-judge panel to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on Tuesday.

This legal decision appears to give same-sex couples the right to marry in California ”” but not yet.

Regardless, Fresno State’s United Student Pride club was thrilled with the step toward marriage equality, especially this close to Valentine’s Day.

Zoyer Zyndel, president of the club, said that most the members found out about the ruling before he did.

“We enjoyed a toast and had some cake at our last meeting to celebrate the recent good news,” said Zyndel.

But with the ruling in a stay, the question that remains is when same-sex couples can get married.

“Just because it was ruled unconstitutional doesn’t mean we can get married tomorrow,” Zyndel said.

Prop 8 backers have a two-week deadline to appeal the ruling to a larger panel in the 9th Circuit or the U.S. Supreme Court.

During that time, marital status remains between a man and a woman in California.

Andy Anderson, the assistant registrar of voters for the Fresno County Clerk’s Office, said his office received only a couple of calls about when the license will be available, but most people are aware the situation is still in limbo.

“Everyone here in this community knows that there’s nothing we can do yet, so it really hasn’t had an effect on our office,” said Anderson.

However, even if licenses were available, not every couple who wants to get married would do so immediately.

Julia Scott, former president of United Student Pride, wants to wait for same-sex marriage to be recognized on a federal level before she ties the knot again.

“I’ve been married in California to a same-sex partner before, and it’s very difficult because it still feels really half-way,” Scott said. “To have a relationship in the middle of all this political turmoil puts a lot of stress on it.”

Scott married before Proposition 8 took effect in 2008, and just finalized her separation.

Despite the fact that same-sex marriage hasn’t been approved nationwide, Scott still thinks the ruling is a step in the right direction. She will continue advocating for marriage equality.

In conjunction with Freedom to Marry Week, several same-sex couples will meet at the County Clerk’s Office to request marriage licenses, knowing that they will be denied.

This year, members of the United Student Pride club will take part in the event, while also risking arrest.

Zyndel said that members, as well as event participants, will sit in the County Clerk’s Office and refuse to leave until arrested.

“We can expect a citation,” said Zyndel. “But I think it’s worth it to make a statement about marriage equality.”