Fun ideas on a budget for that special someone on Valentine’s Day

Photo Illustration by Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

It might be safe to say that if you are a college student on Valentine’s Day, you are perhaps working with a tight budget, and dealing with a major time limit due to the procrastination students are so often guilty of. But have no fear; there are a few quick and inexpensive Valentine’s Day ideas that will score you some major points. It’s all about bringing out your inner creativeness with a splash of that romantic side that we all know is in there somewhere.

Idea No. 1: Write a love letter. Yes, it may seem like nothing, but how often do we let our significant others know how we truly feel about them? None of that texting nonsense or email business, but a legitimate letter that you took the time to write to express your appreciation.

Remember back in your elementary days when passing notes and writing letters to each other were common? Bring that back. You will be surprised by how many things you say in that letter that your girlfriend or boyfriend has never heard you say before. That is what it’s all about. It may be simple, but I can guarantee you it will mean more to your Valentine than you would ever expect.

Idea No. 2: Make a love jar. It’s so simple, yet can be so romantic. Here’s what you do ”” find an old jar, or even a little box would work, too. Cut small strips of blank paper, anywhere between 20 and 50. On each strip of paper write down something you love about your Valentine. Fold the papers and put them all in your love jar. Tie­ ­ a little red bow around­ it and BAM! Now you have yourself a love jar.

It’s easy to do, and something that your significant other will have forever ”” not to mention that if your Valentine is ever having a bad day, all he or she will need to do is open that jar, read some of the things you wrote and his or her whole day could instantly be turned around.

Idea No. 3: Take your Valentine on a scavenger hunt. Think back to all the places the two of you have made memories and go on a scavenger hunt to each place. You can include clues or even little riddles to add a little spice to it. Your final destination of the scavenger hunt can be just about anything you choose to make it. You can lead your Valentine to a favorite restaurant, or to the first place you two met. You could go to your place and make a nice dinner with candles and all that good stuff. Just be creative with it and your Valentine will be sure to love it.

So there you have it. A few Valentine’s Day ideas that are not only easy and inexpensive to do, but really are meaningful and are a way to let your significant other know how much you care. If you use any of these, you are guaranteed to make tomorrow a Valentine’s Day to remember.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Donna RodriguezMar 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

great article good ideas. love Nane