Fresno State pushes for international students

* Based on an estimated average of 15 units per each of
the 360 international students.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

When graduate student Sahin Yetis decided to come to America to get his Master’s degree in Spanish, he chose Fresno State. Yetis, a Turkish citizen, worked with an educational advisor company that gave him a list of universities in California. Yetis found Fresno State to be the best choice.

“Whenever I asked a question, I got a detailed answer,” Yetis said. “The other universities I applied to, I was having difficulties because I was getting replies two weeks later and the price was more affordable than the other places I looked, even more affordable than Sacramento State.”

Fresno State President John Welty called the 35-percent increase in international applications one of several positive achievements at his Spring Assembly address in January. Welty added that the university is making progress in achieving the goal of diversifying and internationalizing the campus.

There are 360 international students currently at Fresno State, according to the spring census. However, Provost William Covino said there would be an emphasis to attract more students from the lucrative international market.

International students pay higher fees, thus making them especially valuable to the cash-strapped university. Despite the higher fees, international business major Joseline Soto points out that Fresno State is one of the most affordable schools for international students like herself coming to California.

Soto said compared to other universities, Fresno State was the cheapest.

“That makes it really good for me,” Soto said.

International students must obtain an F-1 student visa in order to study in the United States. The International Student Services and Programs office (ISP) helps with visas and all things international students may need while attending the university. The office ensures international students have the best possible experience at Fresno State.

“When they first come to the campus there is a special orientation with special workshops for them to help them get used to the campus and living in the U.S.,” Melissa Perez, office manager at ISP, said.

“We come from different backgrounds, different countries, different cultures,” Soto said. “We have to get used to the language at first. Then when you get familiar it’s easier for you and you get to know more people. It’s a nice experience because you gain independence.”

After the semester starts, ISP serves as a home base where students can get advice and direction. There are also weekly events throughout the semester. Two of the events include International Coffee Hour, held every Tuesday, and International Cultural Night, which features a different country each week.

The ISP also provides international students with a special commencement ceremony upon graduation. The smaller ceremony and intimate reception for family and friends affords international students with their own sense of achievement. They may also participate in their department commencement and the large main commencement ceremonies.

Soto thinks ISP has made her transition to the United States more successful.

“The program is really good,” Soto said. “You get together with a lot of people and you get to know a lot of people.”