Eighth-inning comeback vaults ‘Dogs past alumni

Alumni player-manager Terrance Frazier (1988-92) slides into home
to give the alumni a 3-2 lead in the top of the seventh inning.
This was Frazier’s 24th consecutive year participating in the
annual alumni game, his second as the team’s manager.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Current and former Bulldogs took to the diamond Saturday in the annual baseball alumni game.­ The current edition of the Bulldogs overtook the alumni in the eighth inning for a 9-3 victory.

The alumni had minor league talent littered throughout its lineup with many of last year’s draftees returning to take part in the game. A total of 22 former Bulldogs suited up for the alumni team, spanning six decades of players dating back to Jack Altman who played from 1953-56 and Bob Doig who played from 1954-57.

Both teams relied on good pitching and great defense through the first five innings while current Bulldog pitcher Tyler Linehan had yet to allow a hit.

“Every time we come out we play seriously,” Linehan said. “No matter what, scrimmage or not, we play our hardest and get our work done, so that way whether it’s season or practice we make sure we get everything done and everything ready.”

The alumni began the scoring in the sixth inning when the 2010 Most Valuable Player Danny Muno singled home the first run of the day. Erik Wetzel followed Muno’s lead with an RBI single of his own giving the alumni a 2-0 lead.

In the bottom half of the inning two of the newest Bulldogs came through for the team when freshmen Jordan Brink and Chris Mariscal both hit RBI singles in the inning, tying the game 2-2.

The alumni retook the lead in the seventh when pinch hitter Will Thomas drove in Terrance Frazier, who scored his second run of the game. The game was Frazier’s 24th straight and his second as manager. Dennis Springer joined Frazier as the only two members of the 80s to participate in the game, throwing an inning-plus.

Linehan was replaced after the seventh inning by Tyler Stirewalt, who would finish off the game for the ‘Dogs. Linehan pitched seven innings, allowing three runs and striking out three, as Stirewalt closed out the game not allowing a score.

The eighth inning brought disaster for the alumni, who gave up seven runs. After surrendering the lead and falling behind in the inning, the alumni implored a new defensive strategy by adding seven extra outfielders and an extra infielder in an attempt to slow down the Bulldog offense.

“I’ve been playing with these guys for three years, they’re great athletes and great competitors it was fun playing against them,” senior Trent Garrison said.

The Bulldogs open the season at home on Feb. 17 against Butler at 6 p.m.

“As long as we play as a team and we put each other before everyone else, we’ll do just fine,” Garrison said.