‘Dogs fall to Spartans

The Fresno State swimming and diving team lost to San Jose State 184-115 on Saturday in its final meet of the regular season. The loss was the seventh in a row for the ‘Dogs against San Jose State. Fresno State is also winless against the Spartans since 2008.

Being the last regular-season event, many of the ‘Dogs swam in off-events rather than their usual events to give them a break from routine.

The Bulldog divers dominated the platform, taking first and second in the one- and three-meter events. Sophomore Hannah Prigge finished first in the three-meter dive with a score of 310.65 while junior Stacey Luke scored a 279.37 to finish runner-up.

“The divers did absolutely fantastic today,” said diving coach Taryn Patrick. “Both of them had lifetime bests on the three-meter.”

The diving duo swapped places in the one-meter dive as Luke scored a 276.91 and Prigge a 267.52 in a Fresno State sweep on the diving platforms.

In the 200-yard freestyle freshman Courtney Sheehan and sophomore Alexis Melnikov claimed the second and third spots for Fresno State in 1:54.74 and 1:57.70, respectively. The pair also finished first and third in the 500-yard freestyle, with Sheehan winning the race in 5:04.27, beating out the nearest competition by four seconds.

Junior Dani Yoho finished first in the 50-yard freestyle and freshman Alex Madsen won the 100-yard backstroke.

Senior Heidi Gjoen took third in the 200-yard backstroke in her final meet as a Bulldog, while teammate Brittany Buna won the event. Buna added another top-three finish, taking third in the 200-yard individual medley.

The swimming and diving team will prepare for the Western Athletic Conference Championships on Feb. 22-25 in San Antonio.