Bulldogs run north

Sprinter Shannelle Stephens finished third in the 55-meter dash with a
time of 7.08 seconds at the Run for the Dream Invitational on Jan. 20.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

The women’s indoor track and field team is headed to Seattle for a double dose of competition this weekend at the Flotrack Husky Classic and University of Washington Open

The women’s track and field team is in Seattle to compete in two meets spanning three days. The ‘Dogs will compete in the Flotrack Husky Classic beginning today through Saturday, and will finish the Olympic-filled weekend on Sunday at the University of Washington Open.

Both events are held at the Dempsey Indoor Facility on Washington’s campus and will compete against some of the best athletes across the country.

The Flotrack Husky Classic will begin at 4 p.m. with the women’s 200-meter race.

Today’s events include the pole vault, the men’s and women’s 200-meter dashes, the men’s and women’s distance medley relay, the men’s and women’s 5000-meter runs, master’s 200-meter, the club 1-mile followed by the men’s club 3,000 race.

Saturday’s events begin at 9 a.m. and conclude at approximately 6 p.m.

Bulldog sprinter Shanelle Stephens will be competing in the 60-meter and 200-meter events at both meets. Stephens, who was named Sysco’s Student-Athlete of the week for the week of Jan. 23 when she ran the 55-meter dash in 7.08 seconds, improved her personal best by 0.9 seconds. The senior is hoping to shave even more time off her personal best this weekend.

“We’ve been working on this all fall so it’s neat to see what my times are,” said Stephens.

Fellow sprinter and teammate Breeauna Thompson will look to repeat her first-place performances in the 200-meter and the 400-meter races from the Jacksons Invitational on Jan. 28.

The weekend will mark the end of the regular season for the indoor track and field team before the WAC Indoor Championships on Feb. 23-25.

“Our coach has prepared us for what to expect at competitions,” Stephens said. “We’re all ready.”

Flotrack, which is sponsoring the event for the second straight year, will show different portions of the meet on its website, Flotrack.org. The individual 5,000-meters events and the distance medley relays will be broadcast on Friday and will resume on Saturday for events between 3 and 6 p.m.