ASI senators violate updated policy

Associated Student, Inc. senators had cell phones visible at
Wednesday’s meeting after just passing an updated Senator
Expectations Policy that prohibits devices that allow outside
communication at Senate meetings.
James Ramirez / The Collegian

Associated Students, Inc. senators violated an updated Senator Expectations Policy they had passed just minutes prior at Wednesday’s Senate meeting.

Noting several senators with cell phones visible, Executive Vice President Craig Parks had to remind senators that devices that allow outside communication are prohibited during Senate meetings.

“You guys literally just passed a Senator Expectations Policy that states you will not have devices out during meetings,” Parks said. “So please put your phones away while in meeting.”

A 13-1 vote had updated the policy, with Jose Luis Nava being the only vote against an update.

A representative for Nava wouldn’t comment on what was wrong with the update that caused Nava to vote against it. Senators William Daly, Parmita Choudhury and Breannah Evans were not present at Wednesday’s meeting.

Referring to the three senators absent at Wednesday’s meeting, Farnesi said an updated bylaw and policy that passed at the Feb. 1 Senate meeting allows senators to miss two meetings.

“Once you miss two, your spot is considered vacant,” said Farnesi.

Farnesi also said that if a spot becomes vacant, she would replace the senator.

“Each of them will have one absence now, some of them might already have had one previously,” said Farnesi. “So we’ll have to check the attendance and see who is now in violation and who is not.”

Senators Oscar Perez, Victoria Partida and Jose Luis Nava were also asked by Parks to be quiet during the meeting after they disrupted a presentation by Senator Kevin Boles and student activist Neil O’Brien regarding parking tickets.

“Senator Perez, Partida and Nava, please be more respectful to our presenters in the future ”” chattering and laughing amongst yourself isn’t professional,” Parks said.

The next regularly scheduled Senate meeting is Feb. 29 at 4 p.m. in the University Student Union Room 312-314.

$100
$500

$100
$500

Alyson HernandezFeb 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

I don’t understand understand how this is racist journalism. If you re-read the article and note the three senators names who missed the meeting you will find three very different ethnic backgrounds.

Also the articles notes that Senator Nava was laughing and talking during a presentation, as well at two other senators. That to me, no matter what ethnicity you are, is just rude and should not be tolerated.

Also in regards to “SpectacleStudy’s” comment I don’t think anyone would notice or complain if Senator Nava had his phone placed on the desk to record the meeting. It would not be a distraction and never be noted. It is different when people visibly have their phone in their hand and are communicating with the “outside world”. You and I both know that smart phones these days can simply record with a touch of a button and be left unattended for hours, and it will continue to record.

I am tired of people pulling the “race card” in comments on here. No matter your race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc. you should have to follow the rules, and that is what this Senator Expectation policy is all about. Pulling the race card is a simple excuse to try distract attention from what people truly did wrong and the duties they are not upholding.

I personally am ashamed of the comments above mine.

Brent McCombsFeb 20, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Was the use of the photo in this article intended to show what happens to you physically when you join ASI? Senator Brandi Jacobs has more CHINS in her smile (and neck) than I would like to count.

SpectacleStudyFeb 19, 2012 at 2:57 pm

This is a political hit-job on Senator Nava. I had a discussion with him about the issues surrounding cellphone use and he commented that he uses his cellphone to record meetings and had been recording the meeting when warned to put away his cellphone. I think we can agree that there is a place for cellphones as recording devices. We shouldn’t presume too quickly that people recording a public meeting have ill intent. Editing clips out of context is one thing and ought to be opposed from an objective, journalistic viewpoint. My question for Ms. Norton is why didn’t she approach Senator Nava herself? Why wasn’t his opinion asked? What happened to “getting the story”?

• G

Gerry ManderFeb 22, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Good to see Senator Nava failed to mention that not only are the meetings recorded and available to everyone online, but that the staff has warned them numerous times that use of cell phones could be seen as a violation of the Gloria Romero Act. Also, please show me this phone function that requires you to type away on the keyboard in order for it to record!

• R

RenFeb 17, 2012 at 5:13 am

HAHAHAHA!!!!! ALEXANDRA NORTON, what the HELL is this garbage!!!???? RACIST SELENA FARNESI AND CRAIG PARKS CRY, AND YOU DANCE TO THEIR TUNE???!! HAHAHAHA….. JUST ANOTHER FINE EXAMPLE ON HOW THE RACIST FRESNO STATE COLLEGIAN HATES MEXICAN AMERICANS!!!!! DO YOU TRY TO BASH MEXICAN AMERICANS ON A DAILY BASIS????…..OR ARE YOU…ALONG WITH your racist EDITOR TONY TEABAG PETERSON…..JUST a RACIST NATURALLY?????