A family affair

Junior outfielder and older sister Diane Runge
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Siblings Diane and Shota Runge see parents have to split time between the diamonds

Growing up, Diane and Shota Runge never shied away from a game of catch together. But the thought that the two would one day be clad in Bulldog red in their respective dugouts, at the same time, never crossed their minds.

“It’s definitely exciting to be with [Shota] still,” said Diane. “We’re glad he got to stay around. I get to see him in school and get to stay on him about practices and all that, so it’s been fun.”

Diane, a junior, is an outfielder on the Fresno State softball team while Shota, a freshman, is an infielder on the baseball team.

Because Diane has the upper hand by two years, she still looks after her younger brother, regardless of how old they’ll get.

“I keep him in check,” she joked.

While Diane does help Shota, he’s grateful for the guidance she has given him.

“[Diane’s] helped me with a ton of stuff in school,” said Shota. “She’ll help me with my books and make sure my classes are all set.

“She gives me a lot of guidance,” he added. “She definitely plays the older-sister role.”

And while the two do look after each other like siblings should, the Buchanan High-bred brother-sister tandem still keep their game of catch alive by trying to find the time.

“Especially in the offseason we’ll practice together and hit balls to each other and field together,” Diane said. “We definitely keep that alive. We’ve done it since we were little so we keep it going.”

Even that is surprising for Shota, who said he still hasn’t been hit with the full emotions of the situation.

“I never thought it would’ve happened,” said Shota of the two both playing for Fresno State. “It’s crazy. Our parents will probably have to switch off for games.”

And that’s exactly what parents Mike and Misako will have to do with a daughter and son playing on both sides of Cedar Avenue.

“It’s tough because of the [conflicting] schedules,” Mike said. “We’re going to go back and forth, and we’re probably going to have to split up a few times.”

Regardless, the parents are thankful for the opportunity Fresno State has given to Diane and Shota.

“I’m very happy they’re attending Fresno State,” said their mother Misako. “It’s something we’re going to have to get used to.”

“It’s great,” Mike added. “I never would’ve imagined it. I feel lucky since they’re in our hometown and it’s just the number-one place I’d want them to play.”

Gratefully so, Fresno State has given the Runges two homes away from home: Bulldog Diamond and Beiden Field.