Warm weather slows ski season

Lack of snow at ski resorts such as China Peak and
Badger Pass have left Fresno-area snow-sport goers
off of the mountains more than normal.
Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Local ski resorts feel effects of unusual winter season

Although the idea of a warm winter may present students with an early springtime feel, for the snow-sports enthusiasts that have been itching to hit the slopes all year, the spike in dry conditions hasn’t been ideal.

With mountain temperatures in the 50s, snow resorts have been forced to adjust and accommodate to their frustrated guests.

China Peak, which made a return in 2010 after 28 years of being operated under the name Sierra Summit, and Yosemite’s Badger Pass are two nearby resorts that have taken creative measures to cater to their season pass holders.

“We’ve been making snow nightly, as long as the weather for the following day permits,” China Peak events manager Lindsey Couto said.

However, even with the man-made snow, only five of China Peak’s 12 lifts are operating as of Tuesday evening, including only three chairs and two main beginner mover carpets.

“When the snow’s not very good it’s depressing because you feel like you can’t go up there or anything because it’s a million people packed into three runs,” electrical engineering major Matt Kleinberg said. “It isn’t all that bad because it’s so close, but it would be a lot nicer if there were more runs to spread everyone out and just get away from all the crowds.”

Kleinberg bought a pass to China Peak during the $99 student special and has used it just four times during the ski season.

“It’s pretty much paid for,” Kleinberg said. “But this time last season I had gone six or eight times.”

Kleinberg added that winter break usually lends the largest amount of time during the season to take advantage of friends’ flexible schedules while getting the most use of the pass.

A representative for China Peak withheld information on how many passes were sold this season, but the resort has offered many discounted deals and events in an attempt to make up for the inclement weather.

Badger Pass on the other hand has left callers with an apology and is also giving other recreational options to do in the National Park, even without the snow.

An automated telephone message for Badger Pass gives callers its regrets for the closure, but that it has every intention to open the summit as soon as the weather permits.

The message also states that the resort hasn’t forgot about its valued season pass holders and “[is] currently working on a credit system for those weeks lost so far, which can be applied to the purchase of next year’s season pass.”

This season hasn’t only been a trying one for the snow-sport goers, but also for the resorts employees.

China Peak put up a help “wanted” sign for seasonal work back in late October, but with the current weather conditions, the 400 employees are seeing changes in their hours.

“We haven’t been able to reach our maximum employment at this time,” Couto said. “We haven’t been laying people off, but we’ve been cutting hours.”

With the forecast showing snowfall on Thursday through the weekend, Couto remains hopeful that there will be enough snow to turn the season around.

Despite the lack of original snow during the 2011-12 season, some snow sports-enthusiasts like Kleinberg admit that some snow is better than none at all.

“I’d rather be up there on man-made snow than sitting around in Fresno,” Kleinberg said.