UPD warns of scam artists posing as students

The reports of on-campus scams that surfaced at the tail end of the fall semester were once again brought to the University Police Department’s attention during the initial days of the spring.

Complaints were filed to UPD on Thursday of individuals attempting to gather money for a “contest,” posing as students. Lt. Lupe Shrum of the UPD warned Fresno State students of the measures scam artists prowling the campus will go to in order to obtain valuable information and even cash.

“They’ll throw something out like communication, contest or whatever they’re trying to sell … They ask for your license, social security number— and the student gives it to them and the next thing you know, they can be receiving information, they can get their identity stolen, their information is sold to someone else and then they realize, What did I do?” Shrum said.

Authorized sale or promotion of products on campus must go through the proper student activities channels in order to obtain a permit, Shrum said. She added that with the permit comes a set of guidelines, neither of which the individuals requested.

Shrum said that she received tips of the possible scam via professors who were notified by students. Thursday afternoon surveillance cameras in the Free Speech Area showed the individuals attempting to be inconspicuous. Officers were sent to the scene and also found another group. Unfortunately, Shrum said, halting such practices are easier said than done, and students can fall victim to the trap.

“There’s not a whole lot we can do. [Individuals] willing [to] give that information to those people and trying to track that is hard ”” you know identity theft is a huge thing,” Shrum said.

The fall 2011 semester brought light to the situation after students complained of suspicious behavior. Shrum said that there were around five complaints over the fall semester, and one Thursday morning. Shrum recommends that, if approached by a suspicious individual or individuals, relay a description via text or call to the UPD tip line at 559-664-3204.

“We want to protect our students,” Shrum said. “We want people to tell us when something suspicious or if something’s not right.”