Ditch Save Mart Center, go back to Selland Arena

Photo by Alicia Acevedo / Collegian File Photo

Consider two scenarios.

One is of a basketball arena with a sellout crowd night after night. The consistently competitive team it features is boosted every night by the 10,000-plus screaming fans all clad in red. Opposing teams are scared to play here: from 1968-2003 the home team won 406 games, nearly four wins out of every five.

The other is of a huge, magisterial arena which attracts an increasingly dwindling fan base. Actual attendance is always a great deal less than paid attendance, students, who get in free, can barely fill three rows of the student section and, perhaps most depressing of all, the arena gets louder for free pizza than it does for the team it cheers for.

Obviously, the former picture is of Selland Arena, home of the Bulldogs from 1966-2003. Known as “Grant’s Tomb” during the era of head coach Boyd Grant, the ‘Dogs made three NCAA Tournament appearances under Grant, along with winning the 1983 NIT Championship over DePaul. Ten years after Grant left, Jerry Tarkanian arrived, leading the ‘Dogs to six 20-win seasons and two NCAA Tournament appearances.

Sadly, the latter is of the Save Mart Center, now in its ninth year.

The Collegian compiled attendance records for Fresno State men’s basketball dating back 11 years, including the first eight seasons in the Save Mart Center and the last three in Selland Arena.

What we found was staggering.

During the Bulldogs’ final three seasons at Selland, attendance averaged more than 9,500 fans every game, while the arena was filled at or above the 10,132-seat capacity an unbelievable 34 times.

Since moving to SMC, the story has been much different. Since averaging 14,064 fans at every home game during the 2003-2004 season ”” no doubt buoyed by the grand opening of a luxurious arena ”” average attendance has declined every year, except for a slight uptick during a 22-win 2006-07 season.

During the last three seasons, attendance has declined even more rapidly, plumbing to the depths of 7,767 in 2009-10, 7,332 in 2010-11 and, in spite of the normal excitement that comes with the hiring of a new coach, 6,066 thus far this season.

Why is this the case?

Obviously, the lack of winning has not helped. Since playing in the SMC, the ‘Dogs have only posted three above-.500 seasons.

But there are more problems than Fresno State’s won-loss record. The ‘Dogs have no home-court advantage: The arena is too spacious. SMC rivals NBA arenas in its attendance capacity. It is simply too big for a mid-major college basketball team. Not once has SMC been sold out, and a huge black curtain covers the top level of the arena at all home games today.

Fresno State will never have a home-court advantage so long as it plays at SMC.

Thus, we propose a radical solution: ditch Save Mart and go back to Selland.

Moving the team back to Selland Arena could play a key role in the effort to revitalize Fresno, bringing basketball fans and Fresno State supporters into Downtown and the myriad of shops and restaurants that exist in the area.

Selland is a great basketball arena. It seats enough fans to satisfy the wants of the public, but not more than would look bad if the team experienced a swoon. And, the way it’s built, it holds the sound close to the court, making the crowd sound much louder than it normally would be.

But the major draw would be the tradition. There is so much history at Selland. It would be a return to the glory days, when it was not unheard of to see Fresno State in the Top 25, when players like Rod Higgins, Wil Hooker, Chris Herren and Melvin Ely roamed the court.

The Save Mart Center is not an arena for sports, it is a home to concerts and other special events. It should be officially treated as such. Selland Arena should once again be the home of Bulldog basketball.

Collegian editorials represent the views of the editorial staff, not necessarily those of the faculty or the university. For news updates, links to articles and more, follow The Collegian on Twitter @thecollegian.

$100
$500

$100
$500

BrianDec 13, 2016 at 9:33 am

I wonder how many suites the Bulldogs sell for their games? Most NBA arenas rely on income from these boxes as well as “luxury” seats, not normal seats (and certainly not upper-level seats) as their main sources of revenue. Selland is sorely lacking in that department (does it even have boxes for sale?), and location surely favors SMC when it comes to proximity to Fresno State (although I agree that bringing games back downtown would be awesome).

DanJan 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Save Mart Center has been a money pit for the University–a real money loser. According to the 2011/12 campus budget book, the Association lost $2.3 million (that does not include paying the interest on the bond debt–that’s another $5+ million) on the venue in 2010/11. In 2009/10, the venue lost $1 million.

As for the suggestion about hiring a “crook” coach to bring “criminal but talented players” back to Fresno State, the NCAA would inflict the “death penalty” on the men’s basketball program. The University was told that would happen if they ever hired the likes of Tark and Ray Lopes ever again.

Some of Coach Terry’s recruiting is raising eyebrows. His relationship with Dominick Young and some of the AAU coaches around the country is worrisome to some Bulldog boosters.

MichaelJan 24, 2012 at 9:36 am

this is the worst, least feasible and least desirable solution I’ve ever heard.

so the school should spend more $$$ to play at Selland??? The attendence sucks cause the team sucks and FSU has fair weather fans. A better idea would have been to hire a crook like Tark to bring criminal but talented players back to this school.

Was there anybody on the board that objected to this idea.=

• N

NathanJan 24, 2012 at 8:57 am

All of you guys are stupid. Fresno state will never be good at anything. No matter what sport it is Fresno will always suck. Fresno state recruits stupid players from the valley. News flash, Kids from the valley suck. I wouldn’t go to a state game even if they paid me to fill a seat. The douche bags in charge need to stop stealing money from the school just so they could get richer and spend that money on people who know how to coach. Perfect example pat hill. His coaching career should have ended 3 years after he started. I don’t give a crap about the percentage of students graduating. I would rather watch a team full of idiots who at least win games instead of having 3.0 students who can’t win the WAC. Come on guys lets face it, their is no talent in Fresno . Root for another school.

• N

NatalieJan 23, 2012 at 9:42 pm

This makes sense to me, I go to men’s basketball games and realistically no students are there. Maybe a smaller location would feel like it’s fuller and attract more people!

CharlyBJan 23, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I hear the Lakers are going back to the Forum…seriously

Who wrote this crap??? Oh the Editorial Board…coward(s)

Screw state its all about KansasJan 23, 2012 at 9:06 pm

allieJan 23, 2012 at 8:12 pm

This is RIDICULOUS.

#1. Home court advantage has nothing to do with space! Seriously, you are kidding right? It’s about the players knowing the court they are playing on because they are used to the floor and the rings.
    #2. The SMC is an amazing facility, why leave it empty for months at a time?
    #3. Volleyball uses it too and they get WAY less fans than Basketball.
    #4. The picture you used to demonstrate your point is of a Women’s basketball game, not men’s which is what you are arguing right? Stupid.
    #5. The Women’s Basketball at the SMC has a GREAT record, one of the best programs at the school. Care to mention how successful they have been?
    #6. Crowd attendance doesn’t have to do with arena’s, it has to do with the success of the team playing.. maybe if you tried to boost your sporting teams at Fresno State there would be more fans at the games.

Stupidest thing I have ever read.

ChrisJan 23, 2012 at 7:40 pm

This is probably the dumbest thing I’ve ever read.

• F

FSAlumJan 23, 2012 at 7:56 pm

What a bunch of trash. Really Collegian, really???

You actually think moving back to Selland Arena is going to get Fresno State basketball to win conference titles or games in general? You know what will win basketball games, finding the right coaches and the top recruits who will mesh with the system, not a change of scenery.

They built the SMC for a good reason, so students won’t need to take a drive all the way to downtown Fresno for a basketball game. Did we also forget that the “glory days” as you guys pointed was also the darkest period for Fresno State basketball? Where Tark, Herren, Young got the program into trouble? Yeah, they also got in trouble at Selland Arena. Too bad that wasn’t included in your piece.

It also sounds to me like this is for the sake of the men’s basketball program. Should the women’s team also move to Selland?

I can’t wait for a story that says “Ditch Bulldog Stadium, go back to Ratcliffe Stadium” from you guys, just so Bulldog football can win 10-11 games again. You guys have tanked ever since I graduated.