New ‘Muppets’ movie recaptures magic of previous films

Over the years, “The Muppets” helped create fond memories for many children. I remember watching “The Muppet Show” and “The Muppet Babies” as a child. The many Muppet movies helped me relive some of those great memories.­ The new movie, “The Muppets,” was enjoyable to watch.

“The Muppets” helps create a story that most of the audience can relate to.­ Who didn’t want to be a Muppet or be on “The Muppet Show?”­ Walter (Peter Linz), like most people, is a fan of the Muppets.­ In Walter’s case, he actually is a Muppet, so he can relate to the Muppets more than most people.­ He lives in Smalltown with his brother, Gary (Jason Segel). Walter has never stopped dreaming of being on the “Muppet Show.” His dream becomes closer to a reality when he is invited to go to Los Angeles with Gary and Gary’s girlfriend Mary (Amy Adams).

Walter’s dream is nearly shattered when he learns that the Muppet Studios are shut down.­ It turns out that the Muppets have gone their separate ways.­ The public has forgotten about them.

What’s even worse is that an evil business tycoon, Tex Richman (Chris Cooper), has plans to tear down the Muppet studios for good.­ However, there is a clause in the deed contract for the studios. If the Muppets can raise $10 million, they get to keep the studio.­ Walter decides to help out his idols, and hopefully in the process become an official member of the Muppet group.

“The Muppets” wasn’t as elaborate as ‘Muppet Treasure Island,’ or ‘Muppet Christmas Carol.’ But it was a true Muppet movie.­ There’s musical numbers and plenty of goofy moments.

There are lots of cameo appearances throughout the movie as well. What I liked about them was that they weren’t so obvious.­ Jack Black, Neil Patrick Harris, Whoopi Goldberg, Selena Gomez and Sarah Silverman are celebrities everyone knows of.­ But, the movie handled them in a way that was handled with more entertainment than shoving them into the audience’s faces.

Fans of the Muppets will enjoy this movie.­ The plot was pretty much the usual story of characters banding together to bring down the evil business man.­ The musical numbers were catchy but not what I would call memorable.­ Jason Segel is such a goofball he fit right in with the Muppets.­ It’s like Segel was a Muppet who was turned into a human.­ The Muppet Walter was created to represent the kids who wish they could become a Muppet. Amy Adams is adorable so she shines in this movie just as she did in all her other roles.­ Chris Cooper is a great actor, but here he is forced to be as goofy, if not goofier, than the other actors.

Segel, who helped write the movie, along with director James Robin, knew how to handle this movie.­ They gave the target audience of kids and some adults exactly what they wanted. A silly and goofy movie that stays true to the Muppet legacy.