Departing seniors make impact on program

Senior Devon Wylie is one of 15 seniors that Fresno
State will be without going into the offseason under
an impending new coach.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

With the 2011 season finished, Fresno State loses 15 seniors heading into next year, some of whom have been mainstays in the football program during their time as Bulldogs.

This season didn’t quite pan out for the ‘Dogs, who finished the season with a 4-9 record after losing against San Diego State in the “Battle for the Old Oil Can,” in which Aztecs running back Ronnie Hillman scoring a touchdown with only a minute left on the clock to complete the comeback victory.

The loss could bring back memories of the 2006 season, during which a senior-laden team finished with 4-8 record and didn’t reach a bowl game, a rarity in recently fired coach Pat Hill’s era.

One of the seniors realized the year didn’t meet the expectations that the Bulldog faithful expect from Fresno State, but reflected on his career.

“We all knew it was coming to an end one day,” senior defensive tackle Chase McEntee said.

The seniors have had their share of big plays and memorable moments during the unpredictable 2011 season.

The defensive side of the ball will be hit hard by graduation with defensive tackle Logan Harrell running out of eligibility. Harrell had a field day with North Dakota’s offensive line making 11 tackles from his interior lineman position. Harrell finished his final season with 71 tackles, 17 tackles for loss and six sacks.

The defense will not only lose Harrell, who tallied over six total tackles in six games this year, but McEntee, who played in all 12 games this season, collecting 25 total tackles.

“I’m going to miss the camaraderie of the team,” McEntee said. “Having all my ‘brothers’ around me all the time.”

The secondary will also lose cornerbacks Isaiah Green, Jermaine Thomas and safety Zak Hill, who did their best to help solidify an area of the unit that was decimated by injuries to starting free safety Derron Smith and strong safety Phillip Thomas at the beginning of the season. Both players will be back in the defensive backfield for the 2012 season.

The defense will also lose outside linebacker Kyle Knox, who was tied for fourth on the team with 50 tackles and was a two-year starter.

The offensive side of the ball won’t lose much, but will miss some key staples on the offensive line with left tackle Bryce Harris and guard Leslie Cooper graduating.

With so many injuries on the line this season, many of the reserves recorded some playing time, which should help protect junior-to-be quarterback Derek Carr in his second season behind center.

Although the line had a patched-together lineup, it kept Carr upright most of the season, giving up 17 sacks.

Wide receiver Devon Wylie has provided some of highlights in his final season with an impressive game against Louisiana Tech, snagging 13 catches, and also at Nebraska where he returned a punt 67 yards to give Fresno State an early spark.

The special teams unit loses some of its sustainability with long snapper Bobby Shepard and kicker Kevin Goessling, who became the all-time leading scorer in Bulldog history, not returning.

The seniors have been a part of Fresno State football for the most part of their lives and without them, the 2012 version of the Bulldogs will have a lot of key cogs to replace.

“It hasn’t really hit me yet,” McEntee said. “It‘s been six or seven years since I haven’t had someone give me an itinerary of what to do.”