Tuition to rise again in fall

Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Last Monday, the Chancellor’s Office invited California State University campus newspapers to partake a phone conference to discuss a 9 percent tuition increase for the fall semester while reducing additional student services.

Officials from the Chancellor’s Office said that CSU will be collecting about $138 million in revenues from this new tuition increase. Even with this increase “we have about $400 million less in resources,” assistant vice chancellor of budget Robert Turnage said.

Turnage also added that these new increases will not affect all students since 45 percent of students are not paying for college because they are receiving financial aid. Students who pay for tuition every semester also get a tax deduction for every dollar they spend if their parents make less than $180,000 in adjustable income every year, Turnage said.

“If a student asked me they could not afford tuition, I would ask, ‘Have you filed for financial aid or the tax credit?,’” Turnage said. “I hope nobody is dropping out because they can’t afford the tuition increase.”

Turnage also added that some students who before struggled to pay tuition were undocumented students who under AB 540 paid the increasing in-state tuition. Now, because of the passage of the California DREAM Act, students can now afford it.

“The state is subsidizing all students, just some are getting a bigger [subsidy] than others,” Turnage added.

Officials are attempting to encourage the California government to buy out the $138 million tuition increase so that students don’t have to pay it.

Turnage said that even with the tuition increases, students still pay a “sticker price” lower than any other university in California.

Dr. Lisa Weston, chair of the English department and California Faculty Association, said education at a CSU is cheaper compared to private institution or a University of California but that many students can’t still afford the rising costs.

“It can be the cheapest Lexus in the block, but if you can’t afford a Lexus, you can’t afford a Lexus,” Weston said.

Officials also discussed the faculty strike CFA scheduled on Nov. 17 at Dominguez Hills and East Bay campuses, both CSU institutions.

“There is a lot of frustration. Everyone in the administration shares this frustration that we cannot do for students what we want to do,” Turnage said. “We should not focus this anger internally instead of at the door of Sacramento.”

The Chancellor’s Officials also added that there have been no wage increases for CSU campuses’ presidents since 2007 and that administrators that have received raises have been because of promotions.

“The faculty received one in 2008 when no one else got one,” Turnage said.

Officials also added that of all the promotional opportunities half were to faculty.

“The devil is in the detail,” Weston said. “When a new president has come on, that president has been given a salary that is significantly higher than the president he was replacing,” Weston said, referring to the president at San Diego State and other university presidents.

She added that administrators have gotten raises “including administrators at Fresno State. The case has been made that they do more work, but faculty are also doing more work on a daily basis, but we haven’t received extra money,” Weston added.

Chancellor’s officials said additional administrative cuts and other identified non-sustainable cuts to minimize spending are being considered.

These identified non-sustainable cuts include restricting enrolling, raising average classes and other cuts to student services. To bring more money to CSU, the Chancellor’s office had developed a budget plan for California governor Jerry Brown to add to his budget.

“We will know in January what he thinks,” Turnage said.

If the new budget is accepted, it would restore student access, meet demand and enroll 20,000 students that are depending on this budget.

“We now estimate $2 billion in financial aid available to CSU students. This allows us to protect 40 percent of our undergraduate students,” Turnage said.

On Nov. 17 Weston said CSU faculty will protest “broken promises, particularly the chancellor priorities because the two items that are up for picketing have to do with part of our contract, which the chancellor decided not to honor.”

Weston added that CFA is asking for raises they were supposed to get in the past that was budgeted, but the chancellor decided to use the money for other things.

“The chancellor is always very quick to cry ‘oh there is no money’ when it comes to ‘we must increase student tuition or class sizes,’” Weston said.

“There is enough money to hire a president at a high price,” Weston added. “There is always money around if you want to give a rise to union-busting labor consultants who are paid by the day and who get over $4,000 a day.”

Fresno State students will gather in the Free Speech area­ Wednesday Nov. 16 from 2 to 3 p.m. to support CFA.

$50
$500

$50
$500

DonHondaNov 16, 2011 at 5:15 pm

And yet the Regents backed AB 131, giving Illegal Aliens $40 Million of Legal Students’ State aid and further impacting education budget. This will only become larger every year. Say goodbye to YOUR higher education. Sorry if the truth hurts. 🙁

I’ve just read the Assembly floor analysis of AB 131 and the controversial segment, “The number of awards to California Residents will not diminish.” is explained in clear language.

http://leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/bill/asm/ab_0101-0150/ab_131_cfa_20110831_202353_asm_floor.html

“This bill specifically provides that the number of awards received by California residents through campus-administered programs not be diminished as a result of expanding access to these programs to include AB 540 students. While the number of institutional aid awards cannot be diminished, the bill could result in a change in the mix of recipients and a change in the amounts received by students.”

This means that the NUMBER of Awards will not diminish, but when AB 131 Illegal Alien Students get into the program, the amount of money or even not being awarded aid to Legal California Resident Students be affected due to being based on need and not merit.

For the first year alone:
    http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-dream-20110901,0,5365623.story

“It is not known how many undocumented students would be eligible for the aid. A Senate committee analysis estimated the bill’s cost at about $40 million. That includes $13 million for Cal Grants, which average about $4,500; up to $15 million in community college waivers; and $12 million in institutional aid from the University of California and California State University systems.”

http://egpnews.com/?p=29709

“On behalf of the California Student Aid Commission, I am requesting a correction to a quote attributed to me, Lori Nezhura, Legislative Director for the California Student Aid Commission, in the “Trying to Keep the Dream Alive” article posted on July 14, 2011 on EGPNews.com.

It is imperative that your readers be informed that the number of High School Entitlement Cal Grants and Transfer Entitlement Cal Grants are unlimited and available to all students meeting financial need, GPA, and other eligibility criteria. Therefore, if passed, Dream Act students will be able to receive these awards if they meet the same requirements.

Conversely, the number of Competitive Cal Grants is limited. However, the bill stipulates that Dream Act students may only receive one of these awards provided funds remain after all eligible non-AB 540 California residents are awarded.”

Most of AB 131 assigns free State aid based on Need. CA Community College does not require a minimum GPA (fee-tuition waivers and EOPS), while the rest only requires a 2.0-2.6 GPA. So, this is not the “Best and the Brightest” of Illegal Alien Students. This is clearly Economic Discrimination against US Citizens, Legal Californian Residents, and Legal Immigrants who have seen their tuition rates rise dramatically while not being eligible or have seen their financial aid reduced. It is this discriminated population who ARE our FUTURE. Their only option is to take on crippling Loan Debt.

Also, with the heavy recruitment of out-of-state and Foreign Nationals who can pay nearly twice the in-state tuition rate to refund our defunct education system, Legal Californian Residents and Legal Immigrants will be “priced out” and “placed out” of THEIR American Dream, THEIR higher education.

And here’s how AB 131 does not help anyone:
    http://www.600words.com/2011/10/ca-dream-act-misleads-all-including-its-beneficiaries.html

There are already 10,000 volunteers to start getting signatures with petitions. If there was $1Million to be spent, the petitions would be ready in one month. Donnelly is trying to get this done through social media and radio stations.

Here’s more info at:
    https://www.facebook.com/standwithcalifornia
    http://www.donnellyforassembly.com/
    http://taxpayerrevolution.org/
    http://stopab131.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/StopAB131

Or you can order petitions by e-mail. Send your name, address, and the number of petitions requested to:
    [email protected] or to [email protected].

And here’s what will happen when AB 131 Illegal Alien Students get a free CA higher education at the expense of (mostly) Middle Class Legal CA Residents and Legal Immigrants and cannot be legally employed: They go back to their “home country”, even though “USA is the only home I know.”:

http://unioncity.patch.com/articles/acting-on-a-dream-a-look-into-the-life-of-an-undocumented-student-8bbc3666

Christopher MossNov 16, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Have to pay that $40,000 for the fountain rennovation somehow.