Starbucks gives vibe to campus

Alicia Acevedo / The Collegian

Annually, the Henry Madden Library collects an average of $37,000 from the Starbucks on campus. The $1.2 billion-profit company is considering opening a second store on campus.

An article published by MSNBC showed that the company is now considering raising the price of some kinds of coffee, including a 17-percent increase for bagged coffee sold at its stores. The affected markets will be California, Washington and Oregon.

“Profits we create here go back to Fresno State and help promote other vendors that help out the experience for students,” Starbucks assistant manager Ricky Serrano said. “Our money goes to help grow the business and grow more businesses here on campus to make it easier for students to get their coffee.”

Customers of the Starbucks at Fresno State said they like the atmosphere and the products the company provides.

University Dining Services, part of Fresno State’s Auxiliary Operations oversees the coffee shop and currently holds a contract with Starbucks’ corporate headquarters. On a yearly basis, the library Starbucks collects an average of $37,000 that is reinvested back into the campus to support construction needs, associate vice president for Auxiliary Debbie Astone said.

“Over the last three years, we have averaged a net surplus of $37K which we reinvest back into our operations and program support to the university,” Astone said. “We are required to pay royalties to Starbucks on all sales.”

Adhering to strict health and labor codes, Serrano takes pride in the fact that his branch is constantly recognized as a quality provider of Starbucks products.

“The health department, actually commended us,” Serrano said. “One of the health inspectors said that either he’s doing ‘his job really bad’ or ‘we’re that good’ because he couldn’t find anything wrong or in violation of health codes.”

Astone added that the Auxiliary Operations plans to put into action the idea of constructing another Starbucks on campus.

“We are currently exploring the feasibility, including costs of adding an additional location.­ There is a significant investment upfront that we will have to seek approval for before we can proceed,” Astone said.

Serrano said he is happy to know an additional Starbucks is being considered. “Our money helps to grow the business and is invested into the campus. So, yes, there has been talk of it.”

Custumers of Starbucks said they enjoy the environment the library Starbucks offers. “The Starbucks in the library on campus brings a closer environment for students that is comfortable and urban,” Fresno State student Alaia Howell said. “It helps the university keep up with other schools that have a cool and hip environment by having such restaurants like Starbucks.

“I think this shop benefits students quite a bit. It also keeps them from travelling off campus to go and look for their coffee or snacks” Serrano said. “Another benefit is that once you get in a group for studying and have sat down and got your laptop out, you know you can walk over to Starbucks without fear off someone taking your stuff.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

SpectacleStudyNov 19, 2011 at 5:08 pm

If that “vibe” involves facilitation of starbucks with cushy 1 million dollar signing contract, paying the franchise to come here, then man that is one masochistic vibe.