Saunders becomes go-to target in sophomore season

From out running defenders to snagging breathtaking catches, sophomore wide receiver Jalen Saunders has matured into an even bigger playmaker in his second season in the program.

Standing at a mere 5-foot-9, Saunders is not built like today’s prototypical wide receivers, but that has not stopped him from electrifying the crowd with his speed in the open field.

Saunders’ body type and play on the field can draw similarities to the Carolina Panthers’ Steve Smith. Both are listed at the same height and use their speed to break routine short passes into big plays.

With Saunders’ production this season, there is a possibility he could be named among the finalists for the Fred Biletnikoff award, which is given annually to the best wide receiver in college football.

Saunders has brought back the deep ball to the Fresno State offense that had been missing for a couple seasons. The Elk Grove, Calif. native is currently tied for second place in the nation with 23.1 yards per reception among players with over 15 catches, behind only Georgia Tech’s Stephen Hill (30.4). Saunders’ 86-yard touchdown against North Dakota is currently the ninth longest reception this year in Football Bowl Subdivision play.

In just his second year, Saunders has shown the potential to be considered one of the best receivers in college football.

A couple weeks ago, the ‘Dogs faced Utah State and Saunders showed that he can turn minimal gains into game-changing plays.

On a simple screen pass to the right side of the field, Saunders may have made the biggest play of homecoming night as he was able to use his elusiveness to escape the reach of four defenders by cutting back across the field then diving into the left corner of the end zone to cap off the 23-yard score.

The Pleasant Grove High School graduate has made plays all year and talked about his knack for his game breaking ability.

“It’s just what I react to,” Saunders said. “It is not something I can really practice.”

On the season, Saunders has amassed 600 yards on only 26 catches with six touchdown receptions.

With Saunders having a breakout season, he has garnered more attention by opposing defenses, which has led to Fresno State getting him involved in the run game. Saunders has added 67 yards and a touchdown on the ground, while averaging 13.2 yards a carry.

Among other Western Athletic Conference wide receivers, Saunders is fifth in receiving yards per game and fourth in receiving touchdowns.

With a new quarterback under center this year in sophomore Derek Carr, Saunders has done the most damage to opposing defenses, scoring twice as many touchdowns and averaging close to 30 more yards a game than any other receiver on the team.

This has happened with Carr spreading the wealth evenly with five players catching between 24 to 32 catches

The Carr-and-Saunders tandem has two seasons of eligibility left to help it continue to grow. This could be a quarterback-receiver combination that will keep many opposing defensive coordinators awake at night.

“Our chemistry has grown,” Saunders said. “It was a little off at the beginning of the year but we’ve worked on it.”

Although Saunders was named to the Biletnikoff watch list, that has not changed his routine or allowed his ego to grow.

With Carr at quarterback, Saunders may find himself holding a couple awards instead of just being on watch lists. When asked if he will become a prolific receiver during his collegiate career, Saunders chose to give a modest answer.

“I have a chance to be, but I’m not saying I will be,” Saunders said.