Occupy movement heats up on campus, worldwide

Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

Nearly 200 students were present in the Fresno State Free Speech Area on Tuesday, Nov. 8 for the Rally to Defend Education, alongside the Occupy movement event that is taking place worldwide.

The press conference, rally and march were the first Occupy-related events to take place at a California State University. This week, more universities will follow in Fresno State’s footsteps.

Students at the rally held signs that read “Bail out students, not banks,” “Don’t kill education,” “Corporations are not people” and “Oppression can only survive through silence.”

“Year after year, the state has been trying to balance the budget on the backs of our students,” said Nancy Kobata, president of the CSU employee union, Fresno chapter. “Enough is enough.”

Occupy movements first began in Kuala Lumpur on July 30, 2011. By Sept. 2011, Occupy movements sprung up in New York City and San Francisco.

Now, Occupy movements are taking place throughout Europe, Canada, Africa, Asia and the United States.

Fresno residents are also involved in the Occupy movements. On Nov. 6, 2011, 13 protesters were arrested, followed by nine people arrested on Nov. 7 and eight people arrested on Nov. 8.

Fresno State political science professor Michael Becker was just one of the 13 people arrested on Nov. 6 for protesting in Courthouse Park in downtown Fresno.

“Union busting shifted money from the working class to the upper class,” Becker said. “This is a sick system. Corporations get bailed out and we get sold out.”

Speakers at the rally urged students to get involved and take a stand for their education by voting and sending letters to legislators and congressmen to let them know how unhappy they are.

Esteban Cortez / The Collegian

“A degree has now become a corporate piece of paper,” said Elizabeth Swearengin, a women’s studies professor. “I invite all of you to step out of your boxes and get the priorities we need to be a prosperous society and to say no to the standardization of education.”

Not everyone at the event was in support of the Occupy movement.

Matt Shupe, president of the Fresno State College Republicans spoke out against the movement.

“These people really have no idea what they’re talking about,” Shupe said. “A lot of them don’t understand how economics work. I would advise people to research and fact check independently the information they hear. Look deep into it.”

After the rally, demonstrators marched down Shaw Avenue past major banks such as Wells Fargo and Bank of America.

“We are not asking for the impossible,” said Sumaya Attia, a public relations major at Fresno State. “We are simply asking for students to defend their right to learn.”

On Nov. 16, 2011 the UC regents board meeting will be held in San Francisco. For students who want to get involved, transportation will be provided.

“The reality will not change unless everyone gets engaged,” said Dalitso Ruwe, anthropology major at Fresno State. “It takes more than just being here and applauding. Everyone needs to get engaged with their minds.”

$100
$500

$100
$500

Ben IngersollNov 12, 2011 at 4:53 am

Benjamin Boone,

This article was submitted past our Thursday publication deadline, therefore we decided to run a stand-alone photo in the print edition so we didn’t complete leave it unreported in the paper. Glad you enjoyed the article.

-Ben Ingersoll
    Editor in Chief

MarygraceNov 9, 2011 at 11:49 pm

Do a little research before making a claim like “the first Occupy-related events to take place at a California State University.” Occupy SFSU (San Francisco State) has had General Assemblies on campus twice weekly for over a month. Just because there haven’t been news stories about student involvement doesn’t mean it isn’t happening.

Susanne DonovanNov 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm

I am impressed.

Dylan PattonNov 9, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Great article. You had some good quotes I also liked how you presented both sides of the argument

Benjamin BooneNov 9, 2011 at 9:15 am

I am happy to see the COllegian reported this story in its online version. I am appalled in the print version it only published the photo of the one dissenter.