Letter to the Editor, 11-9-11

Dear editor:

This letter is for ASI president Selena Farnesi, but first I must disclose some things. I have never smoked a cigarette and no one on our executive board smokes. Additionally, I have never received any money or gifts from “big tobacco” and for that matter I don’t even know anyone or have met anyone who works in the tobacco industry, big or small. I personally do not like the smell of cigarette smoke. I also remember when I was five years-old and begged my dad to stop smoking.

With that in mind, I was appalled when I heard through the grapevine, that on Wednesday, Nov. 2, ASI passed a resolution to ban ALL smoking on our campus. First, I am very disappointed that such a big issue has been raised in ASI without any notification of the student body, though you make sure we all know about bike racks being moved.

Secondly, I would like to praise you, I hope, because I was told that you do not plan on signing this resolution. Even though I have yet to receive an apology for calling College Republicans “racist and rude” on ABC 30, I would like to thank you for standing up for students’ liberties.

To professor Thatcher and those who voted for/supported this resolution, you must stop diminishing students’ liberties. When will Democrats learn that obtaining your objectives, against the will of the people, through back-door means is unpopular and ethically wrong?

Unlike most college campuses, which openly allow its students to smoke in most places, our campus already segregates smokers to a few designated smoking areas. A recent American College Health Association study found that 28.8 percent of college students smoke cigarettes.­ This seems to me to be a significant portion of our student body that you will be unfairly and negatively affecting when there hasn’t seemed to be a big outcry for banning smoking on campus.

Selena and those ASI senators who voted against this, stand strong and don’t let this get to Welty’s desk. As soon as we get that apology letter, Fresno State College Republicans will be more than happy to stand with you and defend our student’s rights.

Matt Shupe

Chairman, Fresno State College Republicans­

$100
$500

$100
$500

JennyFeb 15, 2012 at 1:58 am

Mr. Shupe is a racist man because he is to old to be a college student- Mr. Shupe is 36 years old and studying with students between 18-15, so his thinking is not good. He is dreaming to be a politician, but he will not become one, because I have met many other candidates in the Republican students who are better and well qualified.

Thanks,
    Jenny

Thanks,
    Mr.Shupe

• R

Rob HowardNov 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

The student body should look to ban smoking on campus, it’s a public health problem. Smoking not only effects the health of the smoker, but it’s an even greater risk to non-smokers because of the most dangerous second hand smoke. We would want the university to take action to protect us against a asbestos, a gun man running lose on campus because both are a clear and present danger to our health & security, this is no different but it takes longer to kill you but the probability of this killing us is much higher. So vote to ban smoking on campus.

Matt ShupeNov 11, 2011 at 11:10 am

“Why does The Collegian act as a mouthpiece for Matt Shupe”

Damn the Right-wing main-stream media!!! Liberals never get a break these days!

• N

Nicholas GiottoNov 9, 2011 at 7:39 pm

Why does The Collegian act as a mouthpiece for Matt Shupe? Not only is he generally a poor writer, he is tragically misinformed.

Over the past several weeks he has ricidulously accused the newspaper of being “anti-war” because they provide casualty information on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, and he has denigrated the Occupy Wall Street movement. His vitriol is a testament to how completely out of touch he really is.

Were Matt to pay attention and use his brain (he may have to wrestle it away from Fox News), he would know that poll after poll shows Americans support Occupy Wall Street. In fact, Americans favor the movement over Wall Street itself by a 2 to 1 margin, and a recent NBC-Wall Street Journal poll found that 60% of Americans support the goals of the 99 Percent Movement. By contrast, just 33% of those polled support the Tea Party message.

Matt’s latest screed regarding a smoking ban on campus is riddled with hearsay and assumption. Instead of focusing on the issue, he finds it necessary to attack democrats for using “back-door deals” to accomplish their goals.

I cannot imagine a more ironic statement coming from a Republican.

See XiongNov 9, 2011 at 9:28 am

What irony: Mr. Shupe’s Letter to the Editor was published right under Maddie Shannon’s article criticizing “the anti-Islam, racist and xenophobic rhetoric of the right wing media.”

Why make this a matter of Republicans vs. Democrats? Mr. Shupe wants an apology, he might as well apologize for generalizing that Democrats want to obtain their objectives, “against the will of the people, through back-door means.”

However, as a Democrat, I would like to thank Mr. Shupe for letting the study body (or anyone who pay attention to matters pertaining to the University) know of this resolution. If ASI is going to make changes that will affect the students, the student body needs to be informed before the resolution is brought up for discussion and voting.

Oh yeah, everyone has the right to put a cancer stick in their mouth! Everyone also has the right to tell the person next to them, “Hey, this is not a smoking area.” So students, be strong and tell them off if you don’t like people smoking near you (in areas not designated for smoking).

What is ASI going do if students smoke on campus if the resolution passes? I would love to know. This resolution won’t deter students from smoking on campus.