Letter to the Editor, 11-7-11

This Tuesday, students, faculty and staff will come together on Nov. 8 to participate in the Defend Quality of Education Rally at the Free Speech Area on Fresno State’s campus. A conference will be held at 11:00 a.m. and a rally and demonstrations will be held from noon to 2:00 p.m.­ It will be in deeply appreciated if The Collegian joins the students, faculty and staff, for everyone will be affected by the cuts of programs within the departments.

We are the 99 percent, and through our taxes we’re already paying more than our fair share to save public education and vital social services in California.­ We are at a make-or-break moment for public education. We have endured $17 billion in cuts to public education and 200 percent increases in tuition for University of California, California State University and community college students since 2008.­ Now, $2.5 billion in additional cuts to education and essential services are under consideration for December. The rally at Fresno State will be the first of many rallies throughout the CSU and UC in California.­ Join us to defend education, social services and the future of California. We are the 99 percent and it is time to get involved.

Camile Duria