Letter to the editor, 11-2-11

To the editor:
First, I would like to thank all who had a hand in bringing the play, Marx in Soho, to the Fresno State campus.­ I am a sociology instructor at Reedley College and this was a big thrill for me.­ If you don’t know why, take a sociology course!
However, what is motivating me to write is the extremely poor behavior on display from the students in attendance.­ I realize that many were there only for extra credit and had no real interest in learning anything.­ However, that does not excuse bad manners.
I have never seen so many people get up and walk out during a play.­ This was a one man performance and I am sure it was a distraction to the actor every time someone got up to leave with their clunky backpacks, skateboards, etc.­ Further, despite the fact that people were asked to turn off their cell phones, all of the students around me continued to play with their electronic amusements throughout the evening.­ To top it all off, a couple children were allowed to traipse up and down the stairs as often as it pleased them to do so.
I hope someone on the Fresno State staff apologized to the actor for the grade school maturity level of a significant portion of the audience.­ If this is reflective of their academic enthusiasm, it’s no surprise they are in such need of extra credit.

Jeffrey W. Eisinger

$100
$500

$100
$500

AlexandraNov 4, 2011 at 9:19 am

I could not agree more, Mr. Eisinger. I too noticed the behaviour of other students and was surprised by how they acted. Even though I was there for extra credit, I was still very interested in what the play was about and stayed throughout the entire performance. (without my cell phone out, I may add) Hopefully, this one performance does not ruin the entire Fresno State experience for you because there are students here who are still interested in learning and experiencing new things.