Fresno State’s special teams tops key category

Fresno State’s special teams has led the nation in
blocked kicks in the past decade.
Dalton Runberg / The Collegian

Despite the now-losing season for head coach Pat Hill and his Bulldogs, they have still held true to the brand of being special on special teams, standing near the top in the nation in blocked field goals and punts.

The ‘Dogs have blocked eight field goals or extra points and one punt on the season, proving to be one of the best blocking units during Hill’s tenure.

Special teams coach Pete Alamar is proud of the legacy the Bulldog special teams blocking unit has built under Hill.

“It is a brand,” the second-year assistant said. “It’s something we take a lot of pride in and is something that has obviously been passed on, generation to generation.”

And for Hill, this year’s special teams blocking unit is just one block shy of tying the season-high record of 10 blocks, dating back to the 1999 season.

Under Hill’s 15-year tenure, the ‘Dogs have blocked 101 kicks — 45 punts and 56 kicks, leading the nation in blocks since 2002. They sit comfortably on top with 13 more than any other team, with Rutgers and Texas tied for second with 53.

But it isn’t just Hill who has done the coaching for special teams. Since Alamar was brought on board in 2010, the ‘Dogs have blocked 17 kicks in the past two seasons.

They recorded six blocked punts and two blocked field goals for a total of eight last season, compared to this season’s running total of nine. Special teams have been a major factor at Fresno State and Alamar recognizes its importance.

“It means a lot to the players,” Alamar said. “The opportunity to make a play is important, and they also understand the emotional importance of that, anytime you can make a play in the kicking game, it’s uplifting. They all understand that. They embrace it.”

Junior Marcel Jensen and redshirt freshman Cody Wichmann have made the most impact on special teams this season, leading the team with three blocked place kicks apiece, accounting for two-thirds of the team’s blocks. Juniors Tristan Okpalaugo and Matt Akers both have one blocked kick each and Milton Knox recorded Fresno State’s only blocked punt.

Standing at a towering 6-foot-6, 255 pounds, and 6-5, 310, respectively, it is no wonder Jensen and Wichmann are tied for the lead in blocked kicks. Jensen uses his large wingspan and ability to get low to block kicks, while Wichmann uses his large frame to muscle his way into the backfield.

Wichmann became a special teams threat right from the start, blocking two field goals in the season opener against California on Sept. 3. Jensen realizes that blocking kicks has potentially huge benefits for the team.

“A lot of people overlook extra points,” Jensen said. “Like they’re not that big of a deal, or they’re automatic points, where most of the time it’s the little things that change the outcome of the game.”

That game plan has worked for Jensen and Wichmann, who hope to shatter the 12-year-old record of 10 blocks in a season, in the three games left to play for the ‘Dogs.

“It’s about having the right people in the right spot,” Alamar said. “You look at scheme and personnel and try to match that and bring the attitude.”