Campus fountain to undergo drastic renovation

Student-veterans Junrel Sumagang, Devon Mathis, Jose Guerrero
and Kevin Piercy, all members of the Omega Delta Sigma fraternity,
hoped to bring awareness to their fraternity and the significance
of Veterans Memorial Grove.
Ana Mendoza-Santiago / The Collegian

The Student Veterans Organization (SVO) and Omega Delta Sigma, the veterans fraternity on campus, will host a Veterans Day celebration on Thursday, Nov. 10, starting at noon.

The celebration will take place just south of the Kennel Bookstore and will aim to promote awareness of the veterans on campus.­ Also at the event, Associated Students, Inc. and the University Student Union board will unveil sketches for the redesign of the Memorial Fountain.

“Part of the fountain’s history is being a memorial that has been dedicated to veterans,” SVO president Luke Newlon said. “This will be one of the first times we let people know that ASI and USU will be renovating the fountain.”

The celebration will be focused not only on student veterans, but also on faculty and staff members who are veterans.

“We know there are faculty and staff who have a military background as well,” Newlon said. “We want to reach out and let them know that we recognize them too.”

Members of ASI will take part in the celebration as well by revealing the plans for the Memorial Fountain redesign, ASI president Selena Farnesi said.

“We are really excited for the renovations,” Farnesi said. “The fountain is going to be completely updated, so it looks more modern. This is our way of giving back to the students of the centennial year.”

Farnesi explained that in past years, the fountain has been dedicated to World War II veterans and veterans of the Korean War. The newly renovated fountain will add a new dedication to the list though, Farnesi mentioned.

“The fountain has gone through several phases,” Farnesi said. “And each time it gets dedicated to something new. This time, we will dedicate it to students of the centennial, to all the Fresno State students and all the contributions they have made to our campus.”

The $40,000 renovation project will include new benches around the fountain, new tile in the fountain, new paint to cover the now-chipped paint, a new fountain rim so the water flows evenly and a new plaque, Farnesi said.

Farnesi expects the fountain renovation to be completed before the start of the spring semester and a rededication ceremony will take place upon completion.

According to the Fresno State website, the Memorial Fountain was originally dedicated to World War II veterans in 1962. The fountain is a part of the Memorial Court, which was dedicated in the mid-1950s to alumni killed in World War II and in the Korean War.

Through the years, it has been rededicated a number of different times, Farnesi explained.

The Fresno State website also describes the current fountain: “A memorial to those who made the ultimate sacrifice in war time has become one of Fresno State’s most iconic images.”

At the celebration, the SVO will have several speakers, including veterans and city and campus officials, Newlon said. The national anthem will also be sung by Valerie Salcedo, Miss Fresno County and a Fresno State alumn.

One of the keynote speakers at the event is Fresno city councilman Larry Westerlund, who is also a member of the naval reserves.

Newlon explained that there are nearly 400 veterans on campus.

“We want to pay tribute to the 400 veterans, both students and employees, with the ceremony,” Newlon said.­ “The SVO is dedicated to promoting camaraderie through these kind of events. We want to create a positive image at Fresno State. Our primary goal is to facilitate academic success for the veterans and to provide support when needed.”

Newlon also expressed his gratitude for Robyn Gutierrez of the veterans affairs office on campus for not only her help with the ceremony, but also for the time and work she puts in for the student veterans on campus.

Newlon expects the event to draw over 100 guests, including veterans from World War II and other distinguished guests.

$100
$500

$100
$500

mikeNov 9, 2011 at 10:13 pm

$40,000? What an awesome use of funds when classes are being limited and programs eliminated.

I’m all in favor of honoring veterans that have served this country, but $40,000 shouldn’t be required to do so. Where exactly is the money coming from?